Two Wood Floors - one mostly open floor plan - crazy?

joposie8July 25, 2012

Our 1922 rowhome has its original oak floors in our entry, living room and dining room. The kitchen is a galley kitchen where they took one wall down to open onto the DR. In the back is a sun room that is open from the kitchen and DR.

We currently have tile in kitchen and sunroom, but while doing a small kitchen renovation we want a new floor b/c we are having some issues with the tiles (and the subfloor). I am considering tile, laminate, but would love to have hardwood. But I can't afford to replace the floor in the whole main level.

Would I be crazy to consider a contrasting hardwood for the kitchen and sun room? Does anyone have photos of where this has been done?

Thanks in advance!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Shades_of_idaho

I am sorry I do not have an answer for you. Will be watching this post closely because we are also considering two different floors in vinyl and how to make them work.

Pictures really help.

Bookmark   July 25, 2012 at 5:36PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jakabedy

We did this two houses ago. It was a 1926 home with dark-stained oak hardwoods on the main floor. The butler's pantry/breakfast room had been taken into the kitchen years before and vinyl put down. When we pulled up the vinyl there was strip hardwood in the BR area, and a pine subfloor in the kitchen, all flush. So the kitchen was originally intended to have linoleum, I believe.

We went through various ideas and opted to install new heart pine in the whole kitchen/BR area. It was lighter, and with wider planks than the rest of the house. But heart pine was used in our area and in the era of the home, so it was at least a reference to something appropriate. Because of the thickness of the planks, there was an eased 3/4" step up. It turned out fine, and we really liked it.

I don't have a picture that shows both floors, but here is a not-so-great picture of the kitchen (when the people who bought it from us were selling it):

Bookmark   July 26, 2012 at 4:29PM
More Discussions
How many square feet is your "small home"
My house is 859sf. It has 3 bedrooms and 1 bath, but...
tlbean2004
Please, please show me your tiny bathroom
I would really like to see anything in the 30 square...
movinginva
ML - what's happening?
Is it done yet?
desertsteph
Family of 5 into 1500 sq ft
Hello! I thought I'd introduce myself since I've been...
pinkpanther5
Tiny House Forum?
I like this forum- but I sometimes think that we could...
angiepangie
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™