Kilz Paint question?

vgkgFebruary 14, 2005

HI Folks,

Hope I'm at the right place for this one. I'm painting the new ceiling I just installed on our front porch roof and have put 2 coats of Kilz (white primer) on it so far. I like the look of Kilz (flat white) which is the color I want to end up with - it's Kilz 2 latex. My question is if it's ok just to use Kilz as the final coat without any other paint? The ceiling is ourdoors of course but not exposed to rain. Thanks for any direction on this, vgkg

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
chinacat_sunflower

well- know that raw primer is a dirt magnet. like nothing you've ever seen in your life. it will catch and trap every particle of smog that passes by, and in a year, will be turning gray.

for a protected exterior, you could use an interior paint but I'd recommend a washable flat.

Bookmark   February 16, 2005 at 1:53PM
chinacat_sunflower

you might also want to check the home decorating forum- the real house-painting mavens hang out there.

Bookmark   February 16, 2005 at 1:55PM
lori07

i used kilz casual colors black satin spray paint to paint a piece of natural wood (microwave cart) then I applied casual colors black gloss. It came out glossy in some area and matte in others. Can I seal this with a Polyurethane clear coat to give it a even finish? Do you have it in a spray?

Bookmark   September 20, 2007 at 10:20AM
luvstocraft

Hi Lori, Sounds like you need to spray on another coat of the black gloss first. You should have gotten even coverage all over with the gloss paint.

I'm a believer in using a primer first then whatever top coat on top of that. Just seals the wood better and makes it ready for the top coat.

Spray paints often require two or three coats for good even coverage. Just make sure each coat has dried really well before applying the next one. You shouldn't need a polyurethane--but, yes, you could apply it. I am pretty sure it comes in a spray, just ask at the store.

Good luck with your project.

Luvs

Bookmark   September 20, 2007 at 10:38AM
More Discussions
Wooden "Jumping Jacks" in the Gallery
Finally got around to posting the wooden toys that...
colorcrazy
Hello!
Been a bit since I've posted. Just came over to put...
anjabee
Valentine painted items
Have a couple of items I've painted for Valentines...
luvstocraft
Painting old aluminum cooking kettles
I found some old aluminum cooking kettles that I would...
PastorWife
Decorative Painting Books
Can anyone recommend a really good "how to"...
jeannette
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™