Painting beach scenes

paintingfoolFebruary 26, 2008

Yall know how much I like going to seminars and painting with others. I went to a Ros Stallcup (www.gransgarden.com) this weekend and we painted a beach scene and also apples, lemons and grapes. I finished the beach scene because they very simple to paint since I live on the Gulf Coast and see the beach all the time. However, I rarely paint fruit and vegetables so I still have an apple to finish. Anyway, here is the beach scene. I will post the apples this week after I finish painting them. Don't want it to go in the bin with all the unfinished items.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
candy1954

This is just beautifull... Do you sell your paintings at shows? Is this oil or acrylic? After many years of painting I just got tired of it...I could never master such beautifull work.

Bookmark   February 26, 2008 at 10:27AM
luvstocraft

Bebe, that is gorgeous! So realistic, and I can't believe the details. I love how you did the sky and all your shading on the boat and sand dunes is just perfect. Luvs

Bookmark   February 26, 2008 at 2:03PM
oddie

OMG sooo beautiful! I so miss seeing the ocean, your painting makes me feel like I could just walk into it, and touch the sand!just beautiful!
oddie

Bookmark   February 26, 2008 at 4:17PM
paintingfool

Thanks yall. I love the colors and I should put a few seaoats in there since that is what we have here in the south. It was a fun class. I am going to try to finish my apples tomorrow - they are green and I need to put a touch of red on them. Next week I am taking a color pencil class with Janelle Johnson (www.janellejohnson.com). I have never done anything with pencils before but will attempt a Gold Finch, calla lillies and a rose. Then the end of March I am off to paint with Margot Clark (www.margotclark.com). She does multi-loading but on the more realistic side. Check out these sites, they have beautiful paintings.
B

Bookmark   February 26, 2008 at 7:06PM
anjabee

Your paintings sure have a realistic quality! I love the soft colors. It does make you feel like you could walk right into that scene. I need classes!! ha You are so lucky to be able to take so many. Some day when my kids are older. Great job Bebe! I look forward to seeing your fruit. :) ~Anj

Bookmark   February 27, 2008 at 9:14AM
annabell40

Wow! very relaxing to the eyes. Very talented.

I'm attempting painting in acrylics now. I want to take a few classes though. Do you suggest watercolor first? Seems so difficult. :(

Bookmark   February 28, 2008 at 12:21PM
paintingfool

Annabell - I started in oils over 25 years ago and was scared to death of acrylic. But now I love them, however, oil will always be my first love. I have painted several watercolor and I am not a real loose painter and I love realism so I have a difficult time with watercolors. I think the most forgiving is acrylic - if you make a mistake, just paint over it. I do suggest classes but sometimes you just have to jump in and try them on your own. Believe me when I say it is not difficult. But you do have to practice. Try picking up a few bottles of acrylic on sale (I love Americana but Ceramcoat and Folk Art are great also), then a few brushes (Soft grip are $2-$3 a piece) and get ready to paint. You would need a liner or script brush for thin lines, a 1/2" angle brush and maybe a #8 flat to start off with. A sheet of graphite paper and tracing paper, and for a palette I use freezer paper which is disposable. I don't use the styro plates but they do work well. You will need a container for water (an old jar will work) and paper towels (I like the blue shop towels, not as much lint).

An easy way to start is find something from a coloring book, trace the item onto a piece of wood and color book paint - that's right, just fill in the colors just like you were coloring only stroke on with a brush. This will give you the feel of the paints and your brushes.

Don't forget to wash your brushes out thoroughly.

Oh, I sound like I am teaching a class, sorry about that but I have a tendency to get excited when I talk to someone who wants to learn to paint.

If you have any questions, please just ask, we have so many wonderful painters on this forum. I didn't mean to get so chatty.

I am so happy that you liked my painting. It looks more difficult than it really is and the enjoyment you get when you have finished a painting is amazing.

B

Bookmark   February 29, 2008 at 9:29AM
annabell40

B

Thanks so much for taking the time and explaining all this. I have taken a lot of chances and experimented a great deal with acrylics...some a disaster, some not so bad, LOL. I will post pictures. I hope to only get better. :)

I love this forum and I'm having a great time reading all the posts.

Bookmark   February 29, 2008 at 10:50AM
More Discussions
A Few of My Things
I don't remember what I've posted but thought I'd share...
phonegirl
Easter Basket Yard Art
Here is one of the yard art projects I've been working...
anjabee
Wow, what happened here?
This is new. Hope I can figure it out. I guess they...
anjabee
Painting old aluminum cooking kettles
I found some old aluminum cooking kettles that I would...
PastorWife
Snow man door hanger question
Crafts and Decorations forum is very slow, so I thought...
donnas_gw
Sponsored Products
"Family Portrait" Giclee - MULTI COLORS
$129.90 | Horchow
Original Hand-painted Abstract Oil Painting
Overstock.com
Missoni Home | Oldsmar Round Rug
YLiving.com
Art Virtuoso Old Italy Framed Art Print-P2372B-05000
Beyond Stores
Impressions Leaf Rectangular: 5 ft. 3 in. x 8 ft. Rug
$549.00 | Bellacor