Lettering source idea!

gram_NHJanuary 28, 2008

Maybe some of you have used this idea before, but it was a lightbulb moment for me! At a Christmas craft fair, I bought some unpainted pine lap desks to paint up during the year for my GD's. I wanted to do their initials, but was having a heck of a time with the lettering. One day while looking at some monogrammed tea towels someone gave me, the light went off! I googled 'free online monogram embroidery patterns'! Walla.....Lettering!!The blue in the pic is washed out, but here it is!

Here is a link that might be useful:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Sandi_W

Gram, That lap desk is really cute and I know your GDs will love them. And you did a great job on the initials. Thanks for the tip on googling the monogram patterns.

Bookmark   January 29, 2008 at 12:14AM
gram_NH

Thanks, Sandi. Isabella loved it and I heard the other girls saying...'How come Gram hasn't made me one!'. Little do they know that is what they are each getting for their birthdays. Best part was they were only $5!!

I can't seem to find the site I got these letters off of, but this is another one that I saved. At the bottom it also has holidays, flowers, etc. with some great patterns to print.

Here is a link that might be useful: Patterns

Bookmark   January 29, 2008 at 9:46AM
luvstocraft

Gram, your desk turned out really nice! What a great idea. That will be a special treasure for the girls. Loved the site you posted, great alphabets, and I found some cute bunny pics that I could even use as painting patterns. ;o) Luvs

Bookmark   January 29, 2008 at 12:22PM
Sandi_W

Gram, Thanks for posting that site. I found some really cute patterns already that I would love to paint and I haven't even been through all of them yet.

Bookmark   January 29, 2008 at 1:26PM
anjabee

Great idea and thank you so much for the site! Your lapdesk looks great. No wonder they are all hinting to have one! ha ~Anj

Bookmark   January 29, 2008 at 1:52PM
oddie

Beautiful! I am sure your gift is sooo loved!
love that site, thanks for shareing!
has alot of great patterns, that can be used for alot of crafts.
oddie

Bookmark   January 30, 2008 at 9:27AM
kraftylady23

Great idea! I sometimes use Printmaster to use for lettering. Now I have another new idea to try.. Thanks for sharing.
Donna

Bookmark   January 30, 2008 at 9:29AM
luvstocraft

Hmmm, what is Printmaster? Is that a computer program?

I really struggle with doing the lettering on a project. Mainly because I don't have good control of when to press and when to lift the brush I think. I do my neatest lettering when I just fill it in with a small brush but that is time consuming. Got any suggestions for me?

Luvs

Bookmark   January 30, 2008 at 10:33AM
paintingfool

Gram, very pretty lap desk and what a neat trick to getting a pattern for lettering. I use the Printmaster program for my newsletter and the graphics are wonderful.
I have often printed out the letters on the computer, trace them, then paint them on my project. I am going to take a calligraphy class at the Decorative Painting Convention which I think will help me freehand.

Bookmark   January 30, 2008 at 6:25PM
More Discussions
Decorative Painting Books
Can anyone recommend a really good "how to"...
jeannette
Chocolate Bunny Yard Art
Chocolate Easter bunny jumping over an egg. This is...
anjabee
1970's-1980's decorative painting books?
Can someone help me please? I painted from some books...
springroz
Snow man door hanger question
Crafts and Decorations forum is very slow, so I thought...
donnas_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™