Painting dried gourds

Ruby_RedJanuary 7, 2002

I posted this on the garden forum but thought I'd try here also. I've been drying some gourds to use for decorating. Is there any special way to prepare these gourds, after they've completely dried, for painting? Some have become moldy and some haven't. Do I have to remove the mold, is it removable, what do I use to clean them? All sorts of questions, but I've got plenty of time before they're ready to paint. Thanks,

Helen :o)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Frances_AR

I just soak the gourds in warm water and dish soap to loosen the mold. If it's hard to get off after soaking, I use a steel wool pad. Let them dry and they are ready to paint. I use acrylic paints on mine and seal them if they are going to be outside. Good luck.

Bookmark   January 7, 2002 at 6:58PM
FlamingO in AR

Yep, what Frances said. You can wipe them down with a bleach solution after washing and scrubbing but I never felt the need to. Just make sure you let them dry thoroughly before you paint.

It's kind of satisfying to see how pretty they are under that gunk!

Bookmark   January 10, 2002 at 11:28AM
nonacook

I wash mine, let them dry, and then sand them with a sander called a sand-o-flex (made by Merit). It has little "fingers" of sandpaper on a wheel that turns. It's not the sanding wheel that just has flaps of sandpaper, these flaps are divided into little strips and is softer. Works great on wood, and gourds, and I have used it on metal to take off the rust. However, it is getting harder and harder to find the refills!

Bookmark   January 12, 2002 at 7:47PM
More Discussions
Easter Bunny Yard Art
Another bunny jumping over an egg. This one is 33x47...
anjabee
New Free Pattern
Renee Mullins has a new free pattern to download at...
anjabee
Painting patio cushions - what type of paint?
There are a number of places selling "special"...
karyn
Decorative Painting Books
Can anyone recommend a really good "how to"...
jeannette
Painting old aluminum cooking kettles
I found some old aluminum cooking kettles that I would...
PastorWife
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™