A Totally Different Medium for Mosaics--MAGNETS!

velishaJanuary 16, 2010

Most folks here use mostly glass and tile for their mosaics so I thought I'd bring up another possibility. What about creating mosaics with colored magnet tiles?!!

I started to get into this--you can find kits online with little colored magnetic tiles. My family and I mostly use these to create mosaic designs on the fridge but they can be used on any kind of magnetic surface.

One really cool idea that I want to try is to create a custom wall space for creating mosaic designs with the colored magnet tiles. You can do this by first painting a wall (or anything that doesn't already attract magnets) with magnetic primer paint, found at a store like Home Depot or online. Once the primer is dry, paint over it with any color(s) to match your decor. You could even put a cool frame around your new magnetic surface and wa-la, you've got a fun, custom area for creating and brainstorming and displaying your mosaic designs!!!

I think this would be a lot of fun in a kids room too!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
smickerdoodle

Sounds like a great idea! I haven't seen the tiles but will keep it in mine. TFS!

Bookmark   January 17, 2010 at 9:21AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
texaswild

Great idea, VEL. Nothing is safe when it comes to mosaicing, is it? Those magnet tiles, the ones I've seen, are about $1.00 each, though. Guess we should be on the lookout at garage sales and thrift stores.

Bookmark   January 17, 2010 at 9:33AM
More Discussions
What sort of grout for a birdbath?
I've mosaiced lots of stuff that lives outside but...
1wanderer
Dog portrait
this is a commission, I opted to complete the background...
nicethyme
My last commission of 2014
A dear friend's sister commissioned me to make this...
silvamae
Back Splash Mosaic
I made a mosaic to go with the back splash behind our...
brokenbitmosaics
Hello!
Hi everyone! I haven't been here in a really long time....
eggshelllady
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™