Kitchen recessed lights - brand, size, type? Need help please

thedorkMay 8, 2013

My space is small - 10 x 13 - I am planning on 8 (4'') recessed in the middle and 1 (4'') over the sink - ceiling is 8'. I will also have a small island 3x4 with two pendants.

I am not a big fan of the big cans so I need your opinion.

Which brand did you use in your kitchen? Juno, Lutron, Lightolier? LED? anything else I need to know - I would also have under-cabinet lights.

Thank you!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ginny20

I used 6" Ecosmart dimmable LED from Home Depot. Love them. They come in 4".

Bookmark   May 8, 2013 at 1:44PM
thedork

Thank you! What type of boxes you used for those?

Bookmark   May 8, 2013 at 1:50PM
thedork

Ginny20 - did you buy their trim kit ( cans ) or you used something different? Thank you!

Bookmark   May 8, 2013 at 1:56PM
dljmth

We used Ecosmart 4" LEDs with Halo housings. The housings are inexpensive - maybe $20? and the lights were about $45. We actually only used cans in the hallways and dining room and did cable lighting and sconces in the kitchen because our ceiling has odd slopes and the cans wouldn't work.

Bookmark   May 8, 2013 at 2:12PM
ginny20

My contractor got them and put them in. They take regular ED cans. They self trim, so you don't buy any extra trim. I think I paid $40 each, but now they're more like $30 or even $25 sometimes.

Bookmark   May 8, 2013 at 2:58PM
Angie_DIY

I am putting in some of the HD LED Ecosmart Commercial Electric fixtures. For some models, not only do they not need a trim, they do not need a can! You can mount them directly to a junction box. The link for the 4" version is below:

(Edited to fix the name as indicated above.)

Here is a link that might be useful: Flush-mount LED

This post was edited by Angie_DIY on Wed, May 8, 13 at 15:48

Bookmark   May 8, 2013 at 3:01PM
williamsem

I used the Ecosmart 4 in LED also. Best price I could find last month was $159/4 on HD online. The 6 in ones you can get for $27 in store, but 4 in hasn't seen that drop yet, unless it was very recent.

I got my cans from a local lighting store where I bought a few lights. They gave me contractor pricing. I think because I was buying 10 and a bunch of other stuff. I stopped in a few times and they were super helpful. I ended up with a mixed lot of some Quarum and some Quoizel. They were under $15 each. The Quoizel were much easier to work with going in, the guys noticed a definite difference in ease of adjusting and the screw system was easier than the Quorum nail system.

Haven't had any of the lights installed yet, but hopefully the end of next week. They just put up the new ceiling drywall today.

Bookmark   May 8, 2013 at 4:36PM
thedork

Thank you all for the great suggestions!

I will check HD

For the Halo housing - did you guys use:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Halo-4-in-Non-Insulation-Contact-New-Construction-Housing-H99TAT/100066352#.UYrK6Gcuz0Q

Or:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Halo-Air-Tite-4-in-Recessed-Housing-H99ICAT/100186076?keyword=Halo+H99ICAT#BVRRWidgetID

Thank you!

Bookmark   May 8, 2013 at 6:08PM
Tricia21

I used the 4" ecosmart as well. We were able to use the existing cans but i Had ordered the halo remodel non insulation cans.

Bookmark   May 8, 2013 at 9:25PM
williamsem

It depends on the space they are going into. Mine I believe are new construction non insulated because they are going into a ceiling with a floor over it and we have full access (putting up new drywall).

Ask at the store and they should be able to tell you.

Bookmark   May 8, 2013 at 9:29PM
thedork

I got it - thank you! It's an old house - we are remodeling.

Bookmark   May 9, 2013 at 1:52PM
More Discussions
am I being too picky?
Ok, is my perfectionism is out of control..... I bought...
bicyclegirl1
Layout review needed- please give feedback!
I think I'm getting closer to finalizing a plan for...
melis918
Unusual granite
I have searched for other pictures of this granite....
ourgeorgiahouse
How best to trick this space out as a pantry?
Hi all. I currently have a roomy walk-in pantry (4'...
jenmendel23
Corian Countertop -Show your pics!
Hi, I'm considering installing a corian countertop...
MercerM
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™