Faux Tile Painting on backsplash???

MaryAnn_ALJanuary 29, 2004

Anyone had any experience painting a faux "tile look" on a wall? I would like to paint the backsplash to look like rough slate tile. I'm also undecided on colors. My other walls will be pale yellow, countertop is cream and kitchen cabinets are med. oak. Any ideas? I plan on using plaid valances in windows with a warm red, yellow and green.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
skatiero

It's very, very easy. Get some very thin masking tape (it comes in all sorts of teeny-tiny sizes at a good art supply store) and tape off all your grout lines first. The basecoat color UNDER your masking tape will be the grout color, so if you want that to be different than wahatever it is now, paint and let the paint cure before doing the rest. Then tape it off, and paint or sponge away. If you are a complete novice, then the easiest of many ways to make the tiles themselves is probably sponging. One way is to have a few paint trays (say, three or four) with a different color in each. Then start sponging and experimenting till you get the look you want. Pell of the masking and it's beautiful! After it cures, you can varnish or seal it so it's very scrubbable! I have done lots of backsplashes-- they are wonderful and easy! Colorwise, you can find a sample of slate and pull colors from the other things in your room and subtly work them in! Slate has a ton of variety and is extremely forgiving to paint!

Bookmark   February 3, 2004 at 9:44PM
MaryAnn_AL

Thanks for responding skatiero. We're still peeling the wallpaper off. I have picked out some colors although I'm afraid they may be too dark. But it's just paint, right! Would you buy the flat latex or egg shell paint or use acrylics.If you varnish it afterwards, does it matter if you use flat latex.

Bookmark   February 5, 2004 at 12:56PM
sportsmom12

MaryAnn,
I might sometime get time to do something with my backsplash- can you tell me how to peel the wallpaper off?

Bookmark   March 11, 2004 at 7:40PM
hamptonmeadow

Don't buy expensive wallpaper remover. Hot water works just as well. get a Tiger's claw ( a hand held thing that scores your paper so water can get under it, score, and then soak with hot water. give it time to penetrate then start pulling. Use a sponge. Kinda messy but works great.

Bookmark   February 9, 2005 at 1:18AM
dian57

Here's a "tile mural" I did behind my stove. I used a store-bought poster and tore it into 4" squares using a ruler so the edges were a little rough. The second picture is my counter, faux painted to look like stone. Should give you some ideas. Both surfaces are several years old, have polyurethane over them and are holding up very well.

Bookmark   September 5, 2005 at 3:57AM
cmluter_rockwellcollins_com

Hi there, is the paint you use to paint the faux tile just acrylic paint like you would use on canvas?? Thanks!

Bookmark   April 6, 2011 at 10:30AM
More Discussions
Latest project
A new friend from church wanted to get back into painting...
luvstocraft
Easter Bunny Yard Art
Another bunny jumping over an egg. This one is 33x47...
anjabee
Painting old aluminum cooking kettles
I found some old aluminum cooking kettles that I would...
PastorWife
Wooden "Jumping Jacks" in the Gallery
Finally got around to posting the wooden toys that...
colorcrazy
Peg people
It has been years since I picked up a paint brush. I...
petuniaxyz
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™