Thanks for the Silicon advice!

sabrinacarrJanuary 28, 2009

I thought I would have to put my light shade project on hold until I could scrounge up enough change to go buy some silicon. As luck would have it, while searching for a light bulb in the tool closet, I happened upon some silicon I bought last year for mounting plant anchors outside on the wall. The silicon worked beautifully. My pebbles stayed put and it was even less messy than working with Weldbond. The only drawback (and this might simply be this particular brand) is that the instructions say to let glass on glass projects cure for a week before doing anything else to the object. So, instant gratification on the one hand, on the other...well, I'm just going to have to be patient! I will post pics once the shade is grouted.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bearbubbacowboy

Can't wait to see it!!! I too am impatient. When I get started I want to get the job finished ASAP. Will watch in a week!! Catherine

Bookmark   January 28, 2009 at 11:36PM
nicethyme

wonderful news, glad it worked out and I hope you'll post a pic when its done

Bookmark   January 30, 2009 at 11:44AM
Calamity_J

So that is good news!!! I'm assuming it's clear silicone? Gotta give us WIP pics!!!!

Bookmark   January 30, 2009 at 1:45PM
barrell

clear and pure 100% silicone not the Acrylic types with silicone added. I still feel the best material is Goop. I can peel silicone off glass with my fingers but I need a razor blade to get Goop off of glass. Silicone two is good but its fumes are very ubhealthy. People working with it in closed areas can get very sick. Silicone 3 Ive heard does not give off the fumes but its hard to find .

Bookmark   January 30, 2009 at 6:40PM
african

Does anyone know if silicone is ok with a little heat? I want to try putting a glass mosaic around an uninteresting cylindrical clear glass candle wind protector, I'm a little worried that there would be too much heat. If silicone no good - then what adhesive?
Cape Town

Here is a link that might be useful: Make Mosaics

Bookmark   February 8, 2009 at 9:24AM
nicethyme

I'm fairly sure that silicone can be heated to up to 500 degrees safely

Bookmark   February 8, 2009 at 3:53PM
iminmystudio

I have made lots and lots of candle jars with silicon some are now years old and I've never had any problem with the heat.
I'm having fun reading this forum, I use silicon on all my projects, but I have never heard of silicon 1,2 or 3 I just use clear all purpose clear silicon, I also didn't know about silicon being 100%, I grout my projects as soon as they dry :o) maybe I should go and read the packaging!!

Bookmark   February 8, 2009 at 5:01PM
concretenprimroses

those flexible cooking pans that you can buy now are made out of a kind of silicone. So it can take heat! Its amazing stuff isn't it.
kathy

Bookmark   February 8, 2009 at 10:50PM
african

Yes - it works fine - the little heat from the candle is no problem. Thanks

Bookmark   February 27, 2009 at 12:16AM
texasfern

Can't wait to see the pics!

Bookmark   February 27, 2009 at 9:24AM
african

I've been told that silicon can become discoloured / yellowish if exposed to left sunlight for any length of time - anyone had experience of this?

Bookmark   April 12, 2009 at 10:28AM
More Discussions
I Quit!
I've decided not to continue with my mosaic business....
wishdish
Grout colorant
has anyone used these?? I went to lowes the other day...
gretch1964
Wonder Horse... getting started!
A couple weeks ago I introduced myself to you all and...
solstice98
Outdoor Thermometer
Did this to go on our porch next to the kitchen door....
brokenbitmosaics
Dog portrait
this is a commission, I opted to complete the background...
nicethyme
Sponsored Products
Birds Skylight Aluminum Wall Art
$139.99 | zulily
Isola Sofa
| Italy Design
Source Outdoor King Collection All Weather Wicker Outdoor Conversation Set Multi
Hayneedle
Edison 4-Pack Amber 60-Watt Light Bulbs
Overstock.com
CandleTEK Song Bird Flameless Candle
Overstock.com
BL3M Floor Lamp - Brass - Bestlite
$1,209.00 | HORNE
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™