? for you painters!

oddieJanuary 21, 2008

Is there a way to make your own extender for acrylic paints? I am in the middle of a project and ran out of florkArt extender, brought floating medium, thinking it might do the same but it doesnt, I am doing a sorta faux stained glass and need the transpatrency look the extender gives! tried watered down paint, no luck! our wal-mart doesnt carrie it and hobby lobby is a trip from my house, tried doing a search but couldnt find any info, and dont know much about paint supplies to figure it out.

Thanks

oddie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
diarich

I've heard of Using Glycerin as an Extender for Acrylic Paints but have never tried it myself.
Diana

Bookmark   January 22, 2008 at 1:49AM
oddie

Thank you! diarich for posting, I did a search on glycerin, sounds like it would work like the floating medium does, since I posted this ? I tried the white glue and food color method, works better then anything I have tried if I keep it watered down good, but still doesnt have the look that paint extender does, it keeps the color if that makes sense, the other seems to just water down the color.
should just give up and run to hobby lobby, Thanks agine
oddie

Bookmark   January 22, 2008 at 8:20AM
luvstocraft

I am glad Diana could be of some help. I've never used extender so had no idea what you could use in place of it. Can't wait to see your project when you get it finished. Luvs

Bookmark   January 22, 2008 at 10:34AM
More Discussions
Wow, what happened here?
This is new. Hope I can figure it out. I guess they...
anjabee
Snow man door hanger question
Crafts and Decorations forum is very slow, so I thought...
donnas_gw
Wooden "Jumping Jacks" in the Gallery
Finally got around to posting the wooden toys that...
colorcrazy
A Few of My Things
I don't remember what I've posted but thought I'd share...
phonegirl
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™