Magic workers needed for plans
I've posted a big long explanation in the Buidling New home forum, but I thought maybe I should ask here, too.
Looking for help with floor plan...........Magic needed!
OK, bevangel and other magic workers....I am in awe of how you can take a plan and draw in changes. I've attempted to hand draw (as close to scale as possible) our house plan with changes since my first post.
Here it is: http://www2.snapfish.com/slideshow/AlbumID=238220583/PictureID=5466995498/a=50067236_50067236/t_=50067236
I have a Mac but can't find any drawing program that will let me make plans on my computer. I wish I had a CAD program....then again, I might never sleep if I had it. I want to be happy with these plans before they break ground in a week or so (if the weather would cooperate). I think I might be obsessed now.
Here is where I need help:
1. Still not happy with the island. I'd like to have 4 barstools at the island with a lower level counter and higher bar area. How much space is needed around the island to allow traffic to move smoothly?
2. I've added hallways going to bedrooms on both sides. I agree that there needed to be some privacy to bedrooms. How wide should a hallway be?
3. I've deleted some windows and changed others. On the back of the house, out the dining room, I changed to large patio door with side lights that open (about 6 feet or so in length). I might need a window on each side of it, too, as I want that back wall which faces West to have lots of light coming through house. What do you think?
4. If anyone can do an elevation view, using a hip roof (not gable, I believe) with the front porch covered, I would be forever grateful. I just can't get a picture of what I want it to look like. Or if you have a picture of something with good ideas for the front, please share?? Thanks.
5. I changed around both main floor bathrooms. Went with a jacuzzi tub (rectangle) instead of corner garden tub. I'm not sure the dimensions, but I tried to look at styles online to allow enough space. I was thinking of enclosing the toilet in the master so it is in its own private vented room since my husband and I will be getting ready at the same time most mornings. Is there enough room? Any suggestions?
Our situation is a bit different, as my husband and I are our own general contractors because the house is being built by our High School Building Trades class. It will begin in August or September and be finished (cross our fingers) in June when school is out. Our school district has had this program for many years and produced beautiful quality (simple) homes. We simply pay for materials except for a few things which we contract out like foundation (poured walls with full basement), plumbing, and electrical. The students, juniors and seniors in high school, along with their instructor, do all the building.
I'm feeling a little overwhelmed and just want to be happy with the plans before we get into full swing. We have 2 small children and plan on finishing the full basement, as well. Our goal is a simple, open floor plan that will stand the test of time.
I've only attached the main floor plans for now.....basement and garage, brick patio and landscaping can wait.
Wave those magic wands, wiggle your noses, close your eyes......whatever it takes, but I hope someone can help ease my anxiety and create a concrete picture of what I want.
Thanks for your help......
Here is a link that might be useful: Main floor revised 7-24-08