Best way to buy 1950s antique stove CHEAP

navi_jenMay 24, 2013

Hi everyone...

Now that the hunt for vintage kitchen cabinets has begun, I, of course being insane, also am considering a vintage stove. Of course, I am also a girl on a somewhat constrained budget. I'd love to get a 40 inch Okeefe & Merrit and/or Wedgewood double oven model...preferring to stay under $3k buying, shipping to MA and at least renovating all the gas internals. I know, my budget may be low...like I said, I'm insane :-)

For those of you all who have vintage stoves, how did you get them? I am searching the normal ebay and CL channels...but any other information you could provide would be greatly appreciated!

This post was edited by navi_jen on Fri, May 24, 13 at 13:24

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
idrive65

Something like this?

Here is a link that might be useful: http://newhaven.craigslist.org/atq/3812944379.html

Bookmark   May 24, 2013 at 1:48PM
idrive65

Ooh, this one is nice. And cheap.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/atq/3777958789.html

Bookmark   May 24, 2013 at 1:51PM
navi_jen

iDrive...that first one is gorgeous, but waaay too old. I first thought about a vintage 1930s enamel range, because they looked so cool, but from everything I read, the later models do much better for actual cooking.

Holy smoly...that Chambers is cheap. I really don't love how the Chambers look (the fronts look bulbous to me and there is something about the handles that make the stove seem sad, at least to me) but this one is close enough for me to actually look at in person to decide if I like it.

Thanks! And keep 'em coming!

Bookmark   May 24, 2013 at 2:02PM
Circus Peanut

hi Navi_Jen,

I can't respond to your email (check your GardenWeb profile settings) -- send me your email address and I'll write you all the details?

Bookmark   May 24, 2013 at 3:00PM
rococogurl

A Chambers in good condition for $400 is a fabulous deal. If you want a vintage range you can do way worse. Those were the Wolfs of their time and then some.

Bookmark   May 24, 2013 at 4:09PM
navi_jen

Circus....thank you, I responded. Rococo...I know, but I really just don't like how the 1950s chambers look. I much prefer OKM or Wedgewood visually, even if it is a bit of a step down in quality.

If this is still available, I might go look at it next weekend
http://annapolis.craigslist.org/app/3777604799.html

This post was edited by navi_jen on Fri, May 24, 13 at 17:41

Bookmark   May 24, 2013 at 4:24PM
eclecticcottage

I bought my 1950's Floyd Wells 30" for $60 on CL. I cleaned the heck out of it, we adjusted the orafices so we could use it on propane and it's been cooking and baking in our kitchen for a year now. Bought it off of CL, had to drive 2 hours each way for it, but it's darn difficult to find a 30" vintage range so it was worth the trip. Mine is VERY basic, no frills, match lit oven and pilot for the burners. I'd have LOVED a Tappan Doughboy (found one even, for $150) with the chrome lined oven and lit up burner rings, but I couldn't go bigger then 30",.

Bookmark   July 31, 2013 at 12:46PM
More Discussions
Thank you GW! I have RUNNELS!
My soapstone arrived today, and is now sitting on my...
oldhousegal
Need advice on choosing type of kitchen cabinet hardware
We are having our house totally redone after a fire...
celocey
Do all my finishes have to match
My kitchen cabinet hardware is brushed nickel, but...
cheriberi2001
How best to trick this space out as a pantry?
Hi all. I currently have a roomy walk-in pantry (4'...
jenmendel23
please share feedback merillat classic, eastman, armstrong
I've been looking for moderately priced cabinets. Please...
abekker
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™