Summer watermelon

luvstocraftSeptember 5, 2008

Realized I hadn't painted anything for Summer yet. I cut out this little watermelon, it's from a Terrye French design.

I actually painted it on both sides just in case I might want to hang it on my lamppost, but right now I have it on the side door to my garage.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
anjabee

How cute. I love all the little wooden leaves and how did you do the little squares on the watermelon? The few times I've done them I cut up a sponge into a square and stamped them. Just curious if there was a better way. ha It's a great summer piece to add to your collection. And your speckling looks great! ~Anj

Bookmark   September 5, 2008 at 5:49PM
luvstocraft

Thanks Anj, I'm not crazy about this one, but it was interesting to do. It called for using a wet rag to rub the darker color on top of the base color--I had never done that before, but it worked good for getting the color to gradually decrease in intensity. The checks were just done using a stencil and a makeup sponge. This pic doesn't show the ones at the very top very well because of the glare. Wish I would have made the dark green shading a bit wider at the bottom too. Oh well, on to the next projects, right? LOL Luvs

Bookmark   September 5, 2008 at 6:59PM
paintgirl2008

That is the cutest sign!I am wondering did you cut all those leaves out one at a time? I really must get some wood and try to cut something, never have but I see so many nice things on here makes me want to!! You do beautiful work.

Bookmark   September 6, 2008 at 11:33AM
luvstocraft

Thanks Paintgirl, I'm glad you liked my little sign. The leaves are different sizes, so no I didn't cut them all at once. It is possible to stack your thin wood and cut multiples at the same time, but I don't do that very often.

If you have a saw, you really should give cutting a try. I think it is allot like sewing, you just follow the line with the saw blade instead of a needle. If you ever want more details or if I can answer any questions, please let me know and I'll be glad to share what I've learned.

Luvs

Bookmark   September 6, 2008 at 8:59PM
phonegirl

I think your Welcome sign is cute just the way it is. Wish we had more of summer to come but here in Montana it is cooling off fast.

Bookmark   September 6, 2008 at 9:34PM
More Discussions
New Free Pattern
Renee Mullins has a new free pattern to download at...
anjabee
Sharing a few Christmas items
Unfortunately no new Christmas painting this year,...
luvstocraft
Decorative Painting Books
Can anyone recommend a really good "how to"...
jeannette
Spicy peppers
Before Thanksgiving, I pulled out some of the wooden...
luvstocraft
Snow man door hanger question
Crafts and Decorations forum is very slow, so I thought...
donnas_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™