Painting outdoor cushions

Bumblebeez SC Zone 7July 15, 2010

I have eight large outdoor cushions on my screened in porch.

They are all light beige, but faded and a little dirty.

In the spirit of Magnaverdes painted red sofa, I am considering painting these all a color (soft apple green) using acrylic paint with fabric paint additive.

Any thoughts? Advice?

It seems like it might work and be fresher looking than what I have but I don't want to ruin what I have.

The other option is having them recovered which is not in the budget at the moment, the biggest expense being good fabric of which I will need at least 10 yards.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindac

Some say painting works...I don't know....but I do know that good fabric can be available very cheaply....and if you do the work yourself...it shouldn't cost much.
Linda C

Bookmark   July 15, 2010 at 6:36PM
Bumblebeez SC Zone 7

I think I found an answer..this thread addresses the same topic.

I wish I could sew, Linda, but I can't (some day I'll learn) and the cushions are paneled and removable.
The fabric I have looked at, Sunbrella quality, is running at least 40 a yard so I want to try painting first.
I do know someone very skilled who could make them for me cheap when I do eventually go that route.

Simple Spray paint might be my answer if I like the color.

Here is a link that might be useful: how to paint outdoor cushions

Bookmark   July 15, 2010 at 6:50PM
kitch_n_kat

GO for IT!!

My victims for this (upholstered stools wearing tired fabric) are in my attic- specifically set aside to test the urban legend that is Magnaverdes' raspberry sofa painted with household latex applied with her hands (gaw!). I'll follow her how-to, but for your pillows, the spray might be much easier for handling- I've seen it at craft stores.

How bad could it be? *nervous laugh*

Bookmark   July 15, 2010 at 8:03PM
eclecticme

A couple of months ago I painted a sofa with my son for his bedroom. It turned out remarkable well. No one that has seen it has realized it was painted until I told them. I would definately go for it. I used the same paint that I used for my bedroom walls :) It took several coats.

Here is the before:

Here it is after I painted the bottom coat but before I let my 4yo "decorate" it:

Here it is after he decorated it with his own painting

Bookmark   July 15, 2010 at 8:36PM
kitch_n_kat

eclectic~ Great idea for a canvas and love the "Victorian Gone Wild" juxtaposing. ; )

I imagine that this settee's style, being a taute upholstery, with not a lot of give, would be the best candidate for painting. question....

Would you do this again, stopping at your base coat....say on a chair in a living area (not with traditional decor, but maybe "hip eclectic") with the expectation of it being comfortable and not screaming "I'm painted upholstery!" next to the other furniture?

Bookmark   July 16, 2010 at 7:49AM
Bumblebeez SC Zone 7

Eclectic, I had forgotten about your great sofa! I think I saved a picture of the before and afters!

Bookmark   July 16, 2010 at 8:40AM
eclecticme

kitcn_n_kat
I would definately do this again. I currently have a green sofa in my living room. I would love to paint it but it would take ALOT of talking to get DH to agree. I want to paint the green areas a peacock blue and I want to cover the areas with the diamond fabric with a coordinating peacock blue fabric. I would love the exact same fabric as the diamonds, but in peacock blue.

Here is a photo of the current sofa

Actually, my preferance would be a Chesterfield sofa but I think I would have better luck talking DH into the painted sofa after I told him the cost of the Chesterfield :)

Bumblebeez
I often debate if I should post something that I have already posted in the past. After I posted it I thought...gosh I hope I didnt just kill this thread...Im also shocked to hear that anyone would save MY before and afters :)

Bookmark   July 16, 2010 at 9:23AM
More Discussions
Spam in posts - some clarification
I just went to the plumbing forum to do some research...
Olychick
Talking of airbnb, white walls, and Paris....
I'd move into this apartment in a heartbeat. And, no,...
nosoccermom
Ideas Wanted: Framing an 8,000 Year Old Spearhead
I own an 8,000-10,000 year old spearhead that I am...
Lynn
Choosing Art Size and Orientation
I am in the process of choosing a canvas art piece...
mary44
Carpet only in the closet?
Would you carpet a closet when you've got hardwood...
amberm145
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™