Distance of sink from counter edge?

venice_2008May 26, 2009

I'm getting an integrated stainless steel sink in a run of stainless steel. The counters are deep (29.5 inches). I was just told today that the sink would be set back 4" from the counter's edge, and that this is standard.

Is this standard? I hope so, as I think the counter is well on its way to being done ...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
morton5

I think you will be fine with the 4" set back. Mine is 3.5", but a bit of the cabinet had to be shaved to do that. Not sure it was worth it, as I can't imagine 1/2" makes a difference.

Bookmark   May 26, 2009 at 3:57PM
mairin

mine's set back 4" and works just great!

Bookmark   May 26, 2009 at 7:04PM
mbarstow

Yup, 3 1/2 to 4'' is ideal.

Bookmark   May 26, 2009 at 7:44PM
davidro1

Now I see the advantage of an apron style sink: your arms don't have to reach as far forward. This is significant when the sink is deep.

I think that with an engineered quartz countertop it will be possible to make the distance to the front of the sink much smaller.

Does anyone know, from experience, how much is too little ?
I would put a lot of steel support under the thin strip of counter in front of the sink.

Bookmark   May 27, 2009 at 1:09PM
venice_2008

Nice to get the affirmations, esp. as I just learned last night that the sink and counter will likely be here on Friday -- a much more advanced timeline than I was given originally! So: phew! And thanks!

Bookmark   May 27, 2009 at 1:29PM
jenottawa

Anyone know if these measurements (3.5-4") are from the edge of the actual sink basin, or from the self-rimming edge of a drop-in sink. We have a top mount sink, and are trying to figure out the best distance from the countertop edge.
Thanks!

Bookmark   November 20, 2013 at 10:39PM
Trebruchet

These distances are dictated by whether or not the cabinets have tip-out drawers and the amount the tops overhang the cabinet drawer fronts.

To make the shortest distance, place the sink as close to the back of the cabinet front (or tip-out) as possible and shorten the overhang.

Bookmark   November 20, 2013 at 10:46PM
cookncarpenter

Usually measured to the counter top cut out, so on a drop in sink, the dimension would be a bit less, 1/2" or so

Bookmark   November 20, 2013 at 10:47PM
More Discussions
"Ledge" sinks and accessories -- do you use them?
I'm considering an undermount stainless sink that has...
denizenx
Countertops for butlers pantry
We have a wall in pantry that will need countertops...
aktillery9
Question on size of wall cabinets flanking cooktop
I'm planning 45" wall cabinets for my uppers....
seb225
top cutlery tray on Kitchen Aid Dishwasher
Is the extra (3rd) cutlery tray on the higher model...
ladypie
What Is The Real Question Being Asked To 'What is Timeless'
I see this question so often on this forum, and I wish...
aloha2009
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™