Clayton i-House

columbiascMay 12, 2009

Has anyone checked out the i-House by Clayton Homes? I saw a brief blurb on it the other day and just went to their site and looked it over.

I'm glad to finally see some creativity going into manufactured and/or modular homes. Trendy design, Ikea style cabinetry, and a few "green" features thrown in to make a nice little bundle that at first seems remarkably affordable. But after letting it settle in, I got to thinking. At it's core it's still a manufactured home. That is selling for $100/square foot. Plus the land. Okay, so it has a cool design. But do those design elements really add that much to the cost of a similar sized "typical" manufactured unit?

Definately a step in the right direction.

Comments?

~Scott~

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jasonmi7

Do you have a link we can look at?

Bookmark   May 13, 2009 at 12:00PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jasonmi7

Okay, I think I found it, linked below. I certainly think it's significantly different in both appearance (which I like), and materials to make it a big step in the right direction, as you pointed out. Then again, if we're going to talk about 'green', then we probably need to talk about their manufacturing processes, shipping, and overall sustainability practices for building them and for the company; not just the house.

I'd also be interested to explore the link some more to find out how well the overall energy structure of the envelope compares to some of the SIP houses I built.

Here is a link that might be useful: Clayton House

Bookmark   May 13, 2009 at 12:05PM
More Discussions
It's Thursday....right? Let's have tea :)
Another Thursday (had to check the calendar to make...
lavender_lass
lavender_lass
So where are you? New house? Still looking?
lov_mkitchenIOWA zone 6b
Family of 5 into 1500 sq ft
Hello! I thought I'd introduce myself since I've been...
pinkpanther5
Tiny House Forum?
I like this forum- but I sometimes think that we could...
angiepangie
I've lost interest in this project
The decorating forum said I needed a colored carpet...
lov_mkitchenIOWA zone 6b
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™