Refrigerator next to kitchen doorway? Please show me yours!

animacafeMay 25, 2013

I am finalizing my cabinet layout today and still re-thinking a few things. My current plan has a 12'' angled cabinet between the main doorway and fridge to help ease the transition into the room.

Another thought would be to put a 12" floor to ceiling cabinet on the end of the fridge run with the door opening into the entrance - that would allow for broom storage since I don't have room for a full pantry anywhere. THANKS TO ANGELA12345 for her suggestion in this earlier thread: http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0513493214240.html?13

My question is - will that make the entry feel like a 2 foot tunnel? There would be a 2'ft "wall" on either side of you as you walk in the door. Does anyone have their fridge right next to the doorway? How does that work for you?

Thanks!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
herbflavor

I think i would center the fridge in that section and either place a slightly smaller microwave in the corner[on the counter] created with the peninsula or the end of peninsula below counter or in a wall cab to the right of hood.You will gain some inches to the left of fridge and I would want some counter space between the .uppers and lowers-even if the uppers come down to within 15 in of counter.You can probably have counter and even a skinny vertical closet for brooms or even a vertical pantry of some sort. This being the entry from the front-that landing of counter space no matter if small would be a requirement if I were doing this. the fridge wall doesn't look right-maybe it's the orphan glass door cabinet sitting there on the wall....I gave one idea but I think you should play with it a bit more.

Bookmark   May 25, 2013 at 1:08PM
LoPay

Agree with Herb on the wall cabinet next to the MW. I would make everything on that wall the same height and depth, or just leave it off. What would you think of a pull out pantry and a book shelve that faced towards the other room there?

Bookmark   May 25, 2013 at 1:28PM
sena01

I have two tall cabs on each side of the door. Distance b/w them is 4' and the cab at the bottom wall is 2' 3 1/2" wide. I don't even notice them. Your kitchen is much wider than mine, so I don't think you'll feel like going through a tunnel.

Mine looks something like this.

Bookmark   May 25, 2013 at 2:31PM
blfenton

I just responded on your other thread (please check) - I have a pantry and cabinets on either side of my entrance and it does not feel like a 2' tunnel. When you think about it - that is only 1 step and then you're in the kitchen. I like the idea of making the cabinets all one and having it as broom storage.

Bring the cabinet on the right down to the counter and you have effectively created a tall-wall. Just suggestions.

Bookmark   May 25, 2013 at 2:47PM
mrsmortarmixer

We have a brick tunnel going into the kitchen, with an 8" brick wall between door and fridge. I really enjoy it, because no one is walking into my space to get a drink or a snack while I'm cooking. From left to right is doorway from dining room, fridge space, pantry doorway.

Bookmark   May 25, 2013 at 3:16PM
animacafe

@herbflavor - your comment about the orphan cabinet is right-on! I hadn't noticed that before. That wall has been the biggest problem throughout this project. It is really the only place to put the refrigerator. The reason I was trying to fit the MW there is to get it out of the way of the range - and to set up the range wall as a pretty focal point from the DR view. I think I may try turning that cabinet to face the DR and setting it up like a hutch - with DR side access to the blind cabinet beneath. Thanks for your help!

@LoPay - are you talking a pull-out pantry above the peninsula to the right of the MW cab?

@sena01 - thanks for the illustration! I'm glad to hear you don't find the narrow point between the doors in your kitchen to be restrictive.

@blfenton - thanks for your response on the other thread - I responded there too. I like the idea of creating a whole wall of floor to ceiling cabinetry. I think the narrow angled cabinet I had there is an example of my over-thinking things too much. :)

@ mrsmortarmixer - wow! That is beautiful - what a unique feature. I bet it will be stunning when it is complete!

Thank you all!

Bookmark   May 25, 2013 at 5:14PM
LoPay

My bad - I thought that was am island.

Bookmark   May 25, 2013 at 11:02PM
More Discussions
Blue Star grill igniter--is it broken?
My Blue Star grill is becoming finicky when I try to...
nycbluedevil_gw
Week 41: As we head into spring, what would you do to make space?
Tomorrow is March 1st. We can really, no longer say...
CEFreeman_GW
color of sink in a modern kitchen ?
I will have white cabinets and dark grey counter tops. what...
jeannette10
Need help with kitchen layout
Looking for ideas. I think the island is too big at...
cinnamon01
Ikea Process?
We're re-thinking things and are now leaning towards...
annaw_123
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™