Bowling Balls and TG

charmoJanuary 23, 2009

Hey girls, guess what? After reading all of the posts on here about TG and bowling balls, this morning I made a couple phone calls, an auto shop gave me a side window from a pick up truck and then I phoned a couple of bownling lanes and ask the guy if he had old balls? He laughed...I guess it was the wrong way of asking that...but anyhow both places had a ball they could give me. Can't wait to try that.

I have a question though on tempered glass. Everyone says we can use the back window from a car but what about the lines for the defrost? Or are they so small that once the glass is broken we can hardly tell?

Thanks,

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
katishooked

Can't answer the question bout the rear window. Congrats on getting bbs' and have fun with them. Be sure to post pix.

Kathy

Bookmark   January 23, 2009 at 6:26PM
daisyme

Well, Charmo, did you get a window? Did you start your project? Let's see! I don't know about rear windows with the defrosters. The ones I was given were from a glass company that were wrong sized and are big...almost 4X6. I'd love to see what you've done, as I'm soon to break one and start in too!

Bookmark   March 3, 2009 at 5:01PM
charmo

Hi Daisy! Yes I got a side window from a truck. I did a bowling ball but I still have to grout it. However, I somehow didn't really like working with it and so far not impressed with my results. The bowling ball doesn't look as great as all the ones I have seen that were made with TG. Perhaps once it is grouted it will look better, I'll post a pic when it's all done.

Bookmark   March 4, 2009 at 7:32AM
texaswild

Lucky you. Yes, it'll look much better grouted, especially w/dark grout.

Bookmark   March 4, 2009 at 8:29AM
daisyme

Glad to hear you found a window and gave it a try! What was it about working with it? I'm really interested in how it turns out, and I agree with Slo about the dark grout.

Bookmark   March 4, 2009 at 9:07AM
charmo

Actually, working with it is easy enough, I was glueing it with Mac Glue and on the BB I found that it just slides a bit, I guess I didn't really like it because I was disappointed in the results. I've seen so many beautiful ones on this and other sites, that because it is easy to apply I thought it would look better. I find the ones on the internet seems so much brighter and vibrant than mine. I had painted my BB, in yellow, orange and red, (degrading), and I just find it "blah" boring is the word I guess. Not ugly just boring. I have one GOG to finish (the one I broke), and then I have 3 projects to grout so I am hoping it will help with the looks!

Bookmark   March 4, 2009 at 1:31PM
daisyme

Could you put a photo on here of it? Maybe there's something to help....if only reassurance that the color grout will help.

Bookmark   March 4, 2009 at 6:13PM
More Discussions
I have been making some mirrors...
I am enjoying looking at all of your mosaics and I...
angs_pool
My last commission of 2014
A dear friend's sister commissioned me to make this...
silvamae
Back Splash Mosaic
I made a mosaic to go with the back splash behind our...
brokenbitmosaics
What sort of grout for a birdbath?
I've mosaiced lots of stuff that lives outside but...
1wanderer
please help!!!!
hi! im trying to get into working with glass and i...
fpc3
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™