SeaEscape 1 - Mixed Media Mosaic

segriebJanuary 26, 2014

I had way too much fun making this mixed-media mosaic! My inspiration was an anniversary card from my sister. The front of the card was an animated drawing of a bikini & swim trunks clothes-pinned to a line; no background. I have always wanted to make a seascape mosaic, so I designed a beach scene with beachwear blowing in the breeze. I wanted lots of movement, too. .. rough seas, an approaching storm and windy. In the mosaic, I have used stained glass, shells, all types of small rocks (including pea gravel!), sea glass, plastic seagulls, a ceramic bluebird, wood clothes pins & string, stick-on pearls for the yellow polka-dot bikini next to Under Armour swim trunks, just to name a few materials! Along with quirky techniques, like crackle fingernail polish on the Adirondack chair, I painted some of the rocks in the surf and on the beach with clear fingernail polish for sparkle. I signed & dated the beach ball! Can you find the shark fin? From start to finish, this 17" x 34" mosaic on particle board took 100 hours (changing my mind a 100 times during the process, too!). It is mounted on the wall using a homemade French cleat, and it hangs in my laundry room. Thank you GardenWeb for allowing me to share SeaEscape 1. I welcome your replies and questions. Susan Griebel, Sylvan Lake, Rome City, Indiana. GET INSPIRED!

This post was edited by segrieb on Sun, Jan 26, 14 at 13:05

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
barbfrizzell1955

WOW!!!! This is absolutely amazing!!! I would love to have that hanging in my laundry room...I wouldn't mind having to do laundry! LOL

Bookmark   January 26, 2014 at 8:11PM
nicethyme

INCREDIBLE work! applause !!!
wow that is gorgeous

Bookmark   January 27, 2014 at 8:22AM
silvamae

That is FABULOUS!

Bookmark   January 27, 2014 at 9:23AM
texaswild

Good Heavens: That's a real piece of work you've done girlie - a first prize-winning gallery piece. Leaves me breathless. You REALLY have a talent. Take a deep, southern bow.

Bookmark   January 27, 2014 at 9:46AM
segrieb

Thank you for all the wonderful compliments âÂÂSeaEscape 1â makes me smile every time I see it. Especially since it is 2 degrees outside now, and tonightâÂÂs low will be -15 degrees with an 80% chance of more snow. We live on Sylvan Lake in Northern Indiana (which is frozen; the ice is 10â thick), but a lake is just not the same as an ocean beach!
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/susan.griebel.5

Bookmark   January 27, 2014 at 3:42PM
oldcrafty

Way beyond AMAZING!!! Love the use of all the mixed media items. BRRRRR.....stay warm tonight! And many thanks for sharing your beautiful work. Hope you will share again!

Bookmark   January 27, 2014 at 4:49PM
nanatricia

Love love it !!!!

Bookmark   January 28, 2014 at 10:36PM
brokenbitmosaics

Definitely an amazing piece. Wow. Love all of it. Very creative.

Bookmark   February 3, 2014 at 12:50PM
brokenbitmosaics

Susan, saw your comment and thank you for all the praise. I went to your facebook and absolutely love your "blue gill in a bottle".

Your talent and imagination is inspiring.

I have a facebook, but don't use it. Only go there to check on my family.

Thanks for sharing your facebook so that I could see your great mosaics.

Ramona

Bookmark   February 14, 2014 at 3:39PM
meadel

It is a fantastic piece! So much to look at . Your attention to detail is amazing!

Bookmark   February 15, 2014 at 7:11AM
Calamity_J

WHOA!!!! THAT is Perfect!!!! What talent!!!

Bookmark   March 13, 2014 at 3:05PM
elfs_garden

Wow!!! I am speechless! Simply stunning!

Bookmark   March 14, 2014 at 5:25AM
More Discussions
How to break crash glass?
I have some solid pieces of crash glass that I'd like...
phish_gw
bees
did I share this here? Yggdrasil and the Divine Intoxicant...
nicethyme
Help! Newbie Ballchain
Hi everyone new here! I want to incorporate ball chain...
KathyC55
Thrift Store Remake....
I thought it needed a little something extra.
brokenbitmosaics
Hi, I have been looking at this forum for a while now...
cajunlady68
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™