Mystery Diagnosis

paintingfoolJune 14, 2010

I hope some of you were able to watch the Mystery Diagnosis episode tonight on Discovery Health. It was about the boy who went a year without being diagnosed with PANDAS. He went through H.... until they were able to find a doctor to prescribe the right medicine - an antibiotic, for the strep that caused his antibodies to attack his brain. I have mentioned it before that my little 9 year old grandson started having tics - both verbal and physical - last fall. He was diagnosed with Tourettes at first but after the blood tests showed his titers were off the chart due to a strep infection he was finally diagnosed with Pediatric Autoimmune Neuropsychiatric Disorder Associated with Strep -PANDAS. He started a round of antibiotics and is now recovered. He still tics on occasion but it shows us he has come in contact with strep so he starts the antibiotics again. He will never be cured of the disorder but he will be able to manage it when the symptoms reoccur.

Hope yall don't mind me talking about it, I am part of the PANDA crew and we try to make sure the word is out so parents and family will know there may be a reason when there child starts exhibiting strange behavior. It could be due to a strep infection which can be detected by a smart open minded doctor and a simple blood test. Please pass the word.

Thanks,

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pezabelle

Bebe,

Missed the episode but am so glad for the information. It is so great that your GS has such a wonderful GM!

I had never heard of PANDA...but now will keep it in mind.

Belle

Bookmark   June 15, 2010 at 2:44PM
luvstocraft

I didn't see that Bebe, but I think it is great that you are trying to get the message out there so others are aware of it. Glad your grandson is doing so much better too. Hugs, Luvs

Bookmark   June 17, 2010 at 12:09AM
franksmom_2010

Painting, is there a good website or link you can give that has more info on this? I'd love to learn more, and I've never heard of this before.

Bookmark   June 17, 2010 at 9:08PM
paintingfool

Thanks yall, yes there is a website - www.pandasfoundation.org. The disorder has only been diagnosed in the past 20 years but the foundation is working hard at getting more doctors aware of it. It is amazing to see the change in a child who is acting so strange with verbal outbursts, tics, movements they can't control, nightmares - then they take the antibiotic and they are back to normal.

Here is a link that might be useful: PANDAS RESOURCE NETWORK

Bookmark   June 17, 2010 at 9:26PM
More Discussions
Valentine painted items
Have a couple of items I've painted for Valentines...
luvstocraft
Where are all of the painting people?!
Helllloooooo....... I haven't been here in ages, and...
franksmom_2010
Spicy peppers
Before Thanksgiving, I pulled out some of the wooden...
luvstocraft
New projects in the Gallery!
If you haven't checked out the Gallery in a while,...
anjabee
Snow man door hanger question
Crafts and Decorations forum is very slow, so I thought...
donnas_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™