Another Fabric Mosaic

texaswildJanuary 23, 2013

Altered slippers. Except for the black/gold and the red inside binding, the fabrics are Damascene - hand-loomed silk. The gold leaves are also Damascene. Can't see the shine of the sequins I used to cover the raw edges of color changes. This is fun to do, but dread doing the other one. I always had trouble w/the second shoe when, in my youth, I covered shoes w/brocade and made hats to match.

Cloth Mosaiced Slippers<?a>

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nanatricia

Those are so dang cute!!!

Bookmark   January 23, 2013 at 9:41PM
nicethyme

I have the same problem with doing the 2nd of anything! lol that's why its best that I'm anti symmetrical!

this is so clever and wowzer I adore those fabrics.

Bookmark   January 23, 2013 at 10:45PM
loribee2

SLOW these are so adorable! Love the pictures of you in the vest too. You are so danged cute, you make me smile.

Bookmark   January 23, 2013 at 11:22PM
texaswild

Bowing in thanks. Started a new cloth project yesterday - inspired by Teesha Moore's Fabric Journals. Don't know what it'll end up being, but it'll be best friend Jeannie's b.d. present.

Bookmark   January 24, 2013 at 7:20AM
Calamity_J

LOVE this!!! What a GREAT way to redo these!!!!

Bookmark   January 27, 2013 at 3:42PM
silvamae

Those shoes are fabulous! Somebody stop me! I must not veer off course, but I sure would like to try that. So unique and charming.

Bookmark   February 12, 2013 at 8:29AM
texaswild

Thanks, Silva. Finished the second one last week, and have worn them to see if the Weldbond holds the sequins on - yep - it does. Silva: the process is to take your little screwdriver, loosen the soles about 1/4" inch so you can tuck the fabric inside and glue. When I covered shoes in my youth, I had a pattern for the whole shoe, but I was too lazy to cut out a pattern for these slippers, so I glued snippets of the silks. A friend thought it was one piece of fabric. The Weldbond is wonderful for this project. It's a very easy project. I know what you mean about veering off course. My mind is twirling in new directions, so as SOON as I finish this awful birdbath I built last summer, get back from PV and recover, I'm gonna chase another rabbit.

Bookmark   February 12, 2013 at 9:00AM
More Discussions
Grout colorant
has anyone used these?? I went to lowes the other day...
gretch1964
slow has slowed down (only temporarily thank you very much)
Using DD's laptop for this message. Slipped in workshop...
texaswild
Dog portrait
this is a commission, I opted to complete the background...
nicethyme
Hi, I have been looking at this forum for a while now...
cajunlady68
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™