a simple abstract backsplash

princesssusanJanuary 25, 2010

I am new at mosaics, but I want to attempt to make a small backsplash (15"x40"). I do not want to place it directly on the wall, as I am not so sure I can accomplish this or would want it there for a very long time.

What kind of backing should I use and how would I hang it??

Any kind of advise would be so appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Calamity_J

Hi There! I would suggest wedi board or some kind of cement backerboard, you can do your mosaic on it, then screw it to the wall. Just go to a flooring/tile store and ask about this, I find them, most helpful, as they are realizing there is more and more home owners that are wanting to do these projects themselves.

Bookmark   January 25, 2010 at 12:56PM
nicethyme

great Kitchen, love the wall colors. I agree with Jane, cut cemnt board to fit and find your studs for the screw holes. Then you can build it laying flat. Just remember if you have any switches or outlets in the space you need to extend them out

Bookmark   January 25, 2010 at 1:25PM
smickerdoodle

I agree with the others. If you wanted to you could frame it out with some trimming from the lumber yard too...just to give it a finished look.

Bookmark   January 25, 2010 at 7:04PM
emtnest

Be sure to post photos when you are done or even keep us up to date with work in progress... those are fun...and your house looks brand new...lovely

Bookmark   January 26, 2010 at 12:49AM
silvamae

Or you could use plexiglass like I did on my stair risers. I drilled a hole near each end, mosaiced and grouted before installation, and then just screwed each one into place. Here's another thought. For your edges you could use the edge pieces of ceramic tile, some are called bullnose tile I believe, so that you have a finished look to the edges. Keep us posted, please!

Here is a link that might be useful: Silva's archived blog posts on stair risers

Bookmark   January 26, 2010 at 9:48AM
More Discussions
What sort of grout for a birdbath?
I've mosaiced lots of stuff that lives outside but...
1wanderer
glass pattern for a cabinet door
Does anyone have a good website or pattern book for...
maryb116
What would you charge?
This is a rough draft of a piece I'm thinking about...
loribee2
Hi, I have been looking at this forum for a while now...
cajunlady68
mosaicing within old picture frame
Someone somewhere posted details on how to do this...
povertylodge
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™