I have a quick question on a watering can project

carolann_z8January 25, 2009

I'm going to mosaic my watering can and was wondering if E6000 would be a good glue to use. It will be outside and have a pump in it and have running water.

Someone suggested smoothing thinset over it then gluing and grouting with thinset.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks, Carol Ann

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bearbubbacowboy

I think thin set is the best for outdoors projects..Catherine

Bookmark   January 25, 2009 at 1:23PM
carolann_z8

Thanks for the help. Six years is a long time so I may try Weldbond. I've always used thinset but I'm not sure how it will stick to metal.

Robin, your birdbath is beautiful.

Bookmark   January 25, 2009 at 11:03PM
sabrinacarr

I had a really hard time getting thinset to stick to metal. I did a canister years ago and wound up getting rid of it because the tiles kept popping off. I have had success with mosaicing metal soup cans, using Weldbond, but they have never been exposed to water. Have you considered trying Liquid Nails?

Bookmark   January 26, 2009 at 2:46AM
katishooked

You might want to consider plumbers goop. (Lowes).My mailbox had lost the latch and handle,I didn,t want to take it down so took a couple of glass globs and plumbers goop and stuck em on so water couldn't run in. They are there to stay I believe. Plan on doing the rest of it when it gets warmer. Liquid nails is a good one too.

Kathy

Bookmark   January 26, 2009 at 6:59AM
carolann_z8

Is Liquid Nails hard to get off your glass or tiles and how do you clean up if you get it on something?

I bet Plumbers Goop would hold anything. That would be good for repairs like that.

Thanks again for all the help.

Bookmark   January 26, 2009 at 10:25AM
carolann_z8

I want to use this indoors if I can. This cold weather gives me cabin fever. lol
I typed in Weldbond and found this information. I know it's an ad so sometimes they are not as good as they sound.

Here is a link that might be useful: Weldbond

Bookmark   January 26, 2009 at 10:39AM
texasfern

I too have had success with Weldbond. I use it for glass on glass as well. I live in south Texas so freezing is rare, but everything I have done outdoors with it has lasted years and years.
I even have some birdhouses I did and never got around to grouting and they are just fine.

Bookmark   January 26, 2009 at 10:44AM
carolann_z8

Texasfern, that's so good to hear. I want to try and do more birdhouses. I have one I did last year with thinset and it has lasted so far.

Bookmark   January 26, 2009 at 11:28AM
d3bbi

Carolanne, I have used E6000 on several metal watercans and I've had no problem with them at all. Two have been outside for 3 or 4 years now. I do live in Florida so don't have snow and ice to worry about.

Bookmark   January 27, 2009 at 7:34PM
carolann_z8

Thanks d3bbi, I have a tube of E6000 and also bought some Weldbond. I had the hardest time finding Weldbond but finally bought some at Michael's Craft Store.

I have my plates...2 watering cans and my glue. Now if the cold weather will let up so I can go dig everything out of the shed I'll be all set!!! Can't wait!!!

Bookmark   January 28, 2009 at 10:00PM
More Discussions
Thrift Store Remake....
I thought it needed a little something extra.
brokenbitmosaics
Bonding mosaic tile to metal
Hoping for some advice here--planning a mosaic sign...
sheloolie
Back Splash Mosaic
I made a mosaic to go with the back splash behind our...
brokenbitmosaics
Gold Kinky Boots
Now I'm blinging out the master bath. My poor hubby...
brokenbitmosaics
Sponsored Products
Riva Burnout Sheer Drapery Panel
Grandin Road
Lime Flourish Riley Rug
$79.99 | zulily
Darchie Moonstone 18 x 18 Floral Throw Pillow
$57.95 | Bellacor
iPad Air Case with Bluetooth Keyboard
$129.50 | FRONTGATE
Rich Brilliant Willing | Mori Pendant Light - Leaf
$575.00 | YLighting