Help installing Cabinet Hardware?

jellytoastMay 11, 2014

I am getting ready to drill the holes for my cabinet hardware (finally!). When I did some test drilling into scrap wood (solid cherry), the drill bit splintered the wood on the exit side, sometimes so much that covering the damage with the screw head would not be possible. Can anyone offer any tips on how to prevent this? I would prefer a nice, smooth exit hole, if that's possible. I am using a brand new titanium drill bit.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
katy-lou

I believe if you clamp a piece of scrap behind the piece you are first drilling thru you will have the back supported and won't get tear out on exit

I'd try that first on your scrap

Bookmark   May 11, 2014 at 12:54PM
sombreuil_mongrel

Hi, definitely back up the drill w/scrap, and having a good bit is crucial. I have found that the best bit is made by Festool, in the 4mm. size. he back-side tearout is manageable.
Casey

Here is a link that might be useful: Festool Centrotec bit

Bookmark   May 11, 2014 at 2:11PM
janesylvia

I finished painting the honey oak kitchen cabinets with BM advance. I'll finish installing new brush nickel hinges today. This house is going to be on market very soon. I think it would be nice to put on knobs on cabinets and handles on drawers since white cabinets are easy to get dirty.

I just ordered the festool brad-point 4mm drive bit recommended by sombreuil. Thank you so much for your recommendation.

I am a petite women of 5'3", not strong. Is the work of putting in 40 knobs and handles too much for me or it should not be a very difficult job? Do I need to uninstall the cabinet and lay the cabinets horizontally to drill the holes for knobs in order to make accurate drilling or is it equally good to drill holes on installed cabinets?

Any input or sharing of experience is greatly appreciated.

Bookmark   July 1, 2014 at 11:11AM
More Discussions
Soapstone with runnels: How are they holding up?
If you have runnels in your soapstone, could you tell...
leavemeout
Need help with kitchen layout
Looking for ideas. I think the island is too big at...
cinnamon01
School me on galley kitchen layout!
So I've tried to start learning from the experts here...
red_argyle
Is glazing stained cabinets going out of style?
It seems like glazing white or cream cabinets is already...
nerdyhousewife
Two toned kitchen love em or hate em?
I am loosing my mind. I originally wanted a dark shaker...
abick2
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™