Venting outside

Kathy RiveraMay 13, 2013

I have been looking at hood/venting threads all morning and I'm still woefully confused!!

I'm moving the range to an outside wall. So no matter what I get - internal or external blower - there will be something on that wall outside, right? (I think I'm confused b/c I've never had anything but recirculating so hood does not equal "exterior presence" to me)

And we have a second story, so I can't vent through the roof (or, I don't want to b/c it will be $$$)?

Our deck is outside the wall and I would want to keep the venting as unobtrusive as possible. Does all that point me to an internal blower (b/c external are huge)? I'll have a 30" range and I just do basic cooking - no inside grilling or woks or anything.

Lastly, if I get an under cabinet like this, I only need that, right?

If I get some sort of mantel/wood chimney like this, I'll need a liner (and does that come with all the parts I need?)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

My kitchen vent looks like a dryer vent outside. Sorry no photo.

    Bookmark   May 13, 2013 at 12:27PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

You would need to have a vent cover installed on the outside of your wall. It should have a damper and screen on it, to keep birds and other critters from using it as a home. The damper also serves to keep wind from creating a draft into your home.

Unless you have a pro style range or cooktop, I would think that a vent hood with an internal blower would be just fine.

    Bookmark   May 13, 2013 at 12:40PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I just came from the conversation side and saw "venting outside". I thought maybe you were yelling and screaming outside about a kitchen problem gone bad.

Sorry I can't help you with your situation.

    Bookmark   May 13, 2013 at 12:41PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Also, I don't think that any hoods come with any vent ducting, so you would have to get that yourself to run from the hood to the outside.

    Bookmark   May 13, 2013 at 12:43PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

For a range hood venting out the wall, you'd need this one:

Here is a link that might be useful: rear venting damper

    Bookmark   May 13, 2013 at 2:33PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Kathy Rivera

OK, thanks Debra and gpraceman. A dryer vent look I can handle! (there is actually an old external blower box out there now, I think, which we'll have them remove. I can't figure out how the space used to be configured so that it was usable, though...)

blfenton - sorry to disappoint. Perhaps by the end of the reno I will be out there randomly screaming about pulls and backsplash tiles!!

    Bookmark   May 13, 2013 at 2:44PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Circus Peanut

We splurged a bit on a nice copper vent for ours (it also led to the deck) and never regretted it.

I presume there are also other more expensive styles floating around the internet for all the folks in that situation with vent or dryer.

    Bookmark   May 13, 2013 at 2:48PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Dryer vents are typically only 4 inches in diameter.

If you have a small range hood you might get as low as 5 inches (or even one of the square ones that are about 3 inches tall and ~14 in wide).

If you get a 'pro style' one you are looking at 8 inches diameter and up.

    Bookmark   May 13, 2013 at 3:50PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Do those with the vents on your deck ever find the smoke or grease or noise bothersome outside?

    Bookmark   May 13, 2013 at 4:01PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

This is what our vent system looks like. We had a GC, who chose what type of vent system we needed for our Wolf 6 gas burner cook top. I am not sure of the specifics, but I could investigate it if you need any more information.

    Bookmark   May 13, 2013 at 4:14PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Here's the 1000 cfm remote blower I recently installed on our roof. Measures 18"x 24"x 5" high. Can also be sidewall mounted like doonie's

    Bookmark   May 13, 2013 at 5:42PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

ctycdm, can you please tell me the brand and / or model # for the 1000 cfm remote blower in your picture? I'm looking for that exact one, but can't find it anywhere else googling.

Thank you!

    Bookmark   October 3, 2014 at 1:27PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

WEB0123, I ordered mine with my Prizer hood. Not sure if they actually make the blower or not. I will say this, it looks exactly like the Thermador VR1000 which I have installed on numerous projects.
Not sure if you are close to the Seattle area, but googling, I just came across this great buy!

Here is a link that might be useful: VR1000

    Bookmark   October 3, 2014 at 2:28PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Do I need an architect?
I have posted before about wanting to remodel my awful...
Sink Window - counter depth or slightly raised?
(I'm trying to limit my queries to 1/day - you have...
Carrie B
Barker cabinets?
So who has Barker cabinets and would be willing to...
White Macaubus and Sea Pearl quartzite
We are considering White Macaubus for our kitchen in...
Kitchen dimensions/layout advice please
We're finally renovating but this isnt a major overhaul,...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™