Door trim finally restored
This Spring was the last straw. Those sparrows were making nests in every cavity, including pecking away at the far right piece of trim (what was left) and trying to make a new hole behind it. I would lay in bed and here, "peck, peck, peck". Ugh. So I managed to slip a piece of slate down behind and in front of the new "apartment door".
I stopped at an Amish furniture and cabinet maker down the road and asked if he could fit a new piece of trim above the old schoolhouse door - something similar to the original and maybe add the molding to match the tops of the old windows too. I'm sure the door had it at one time. He came up and gave me an estimate of $50-$55(!). YES. I was overjoyed inside but didn't want to scare him. $55 is cheap compared to when I've had other work like that done.
I wanted to be home when he installed it, he said he'd call the night before. Well, it was over a week since he agreed to the work but I knew he was busy. One morning I walked around to the back of the house and out of the corner of my eye - there I saw the trim up and even painted! When I called to thank him he said he had had a little bit of time and so he came and did the work - $50. After all these years, finally. We talked about maybe having him do the belfry doors way up at the peak of the roof. The trim is coming off there also. Perhaps this winter when he's not quite as busy.
I know the door isn't perfect, but I love it. Someday maybe I can get it restored too.