RTW Crotch Length

josalDecember 16, 2007

Does anyone have a way to lengthen the crotch on RTW pants? I have two pair of black cotton twill pants that would be more comfortable if I could add an inch to the CL. Help, please?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
salena

Well try to move the button at the waist. See if there is any fabric at the crotch seam to let out.....probably not. I don't know of anyway to do this easily, sorry. Salena

Bookmark   December 18, 2007 at 9:12AM
josal

Thank you, salena. I was afraid of that. So they stay in the closet as a reminder to return things that are not satisfactory.

Bookmark   December 19, 2007 at 11:22AM
soonergrandmom

Can you let out the inseam (inside leg seam) at all?

Bookmark   December 19, 2007 at 1:28PM
evaf555

You might try this:
Turn the pants inside out. Now turn one leg inside the other. See the "U" shape the crotch curve forms? Try stitching a curve a little deeper than the one manufactured, say, 1/4 inch deeper, and taper it to meet the original seam at the bottom of the fly in the front, and maybe 1/3 way up the curve in the back. Trim the extra fabric, a tiny bit, because if you don't trim the fabric you won't feel the extra room you've made.

You might think that you're "taking it in" and making it smaller. Not at all. If you think about geometry class in high school, imagine you're making room for a bigger sphere. It would be a bigger circle. It doesn't have to be much bigger, to look at, to have a much larger measurement.

Bookmark   December 19, 2007 at 9:13PM
josal

evaf, thank you, thank you, thank you. This will do the trick. I would have thought of this myself, but I dreamed my time away in geometry class and anyway, it was too many years ago. (:-)

Bookmark   December 20, 2007 at 11:08AM
More Discussions
questions about sewing lipped cord onto draperies
I am sewing drapery panels that will have a 2 foot...
lsst
Can you tell me if this will work?
Since I have been socked in for four days now, have...
barb_roselover_in
The little Singer 15- made her way home today!
I went back to the Thrift Store and asked the clerk...
caroline94535
Pleating help
Hello all. It's been a while since I asked a question...
cloybaby
Bernette Serger 334D - a Classic!
I love this serger, bought it used many years ago,...
gramfel
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™