Making muslin produce storage bags

linnea56December 13, 2008

Someone was describing to me these cloth bags used to store produce in the refrigerator in some other countries. They are supposed to make produce last longer because it can breathe and doesnÂt trap too much moisture like plastic bags do. IÂd like to make a set. Near as I can tell, undyed muslin would be a good choice. Or canvas? Anyone try making these and know more about what fabric to use, weight, etc?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
beckwards

I've bought these, and they worked pretty well. They're just a lightweight or maybe light midweight cotton. Probably not a canvas. They'd be extremely easy to make. If you're interested in seeing some models for size (can I post this? I am not affiliated with the company or selling anything) then Reusablebags.com has some.

Here is a link that might be useful: Muslin produce bags sold online

Bookmark   December 14, 2008 at 8:59AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Geo_in_NW_Ontario

My girlfriends and I had a sewing bee in early December to make similar bags. We made 3 different sizes using a mosquito type netting. Cut out using rotor and cutting mat. Very efficient. 3 sewing machines operating and after 7 hours we had made 55 bags! Zigzagged edges, then casing on top w/ drawstring. For presentation rolled 3 different sized bags and wrapped w/ raffia. A nice environmentally friendly gift plus we had lotsa fun in the making.

Bookmark   December 18, 2008 at 8:01PM
More Discussions
Can anyone help identify these fabrics? {PB Brooklyn in Lavender}
Hi there, I absolutely love the PB Brooklyn Crib bedding...
audreyrama
Advanced beginner , emphasis on beginner
What r ur fave online fabric stores? I am looking...
bossyvossy
kenmore 12511 machine woth cleaning and keeping?
My daughter has become interested in sewing. I have...
kellim45
Should I buy this old Singer?
... Can you tell me how I find when it was made? It's...
caroline94535
Singer toy sewing machine question
Hi, I have a Singer Sewhandy toy electric sewing machine...
philanna273
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™