Keep lamp or take back to store?

marti8aApril 6, 2011

I spent the weekend shopping with friends. Not always a good thing as I buy things and then wonder why later. Like this lamp. I really like the lamp, but I didn't take any measurements with me and didn't know what size I needed. Alone, it doesn't work in this spot for me. Soooo, do I keep and put something with it (and if so, what?), or do I keep and put by the bed, or do I just take it back to the store?

Any ideas to cover up the plug in the middle, or the cords if I put this or another lamp there? I have a small picture over the main jumble of cord in the above picture, and in the below picture, I wanted to see what a grouping of candles would look like. I only have one size candle so used some coasters to give a little height.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Shades_of_idaho

Love the lamp. Maybe not in that spot. You can paint yourplug switch to blend into bricks. I put glass on mine for my bath back splash. LOL You can also paint your cord. Done it many times and it makes it disappear.

Plug is next picture in album.

Course you do not want glass but just craft paint will work.

Here is a link that might be useful: Light Switch Hidden LOL

Bookmark   April 6, 2011 at 3:10PM
marti8a

Wow, you did a great job disguising that switch. I had thought of painting the cover when I paint the brick. I just need a long weekend with dh away to do that.

Bookmark   April 6, 2011 at 3:42PM
Shades_of_idaho

OH You are going to paint the brick then?? What color? Will look great. I love painted brick. It usually sucks the paint and when I did it I had to do two coats of primer even though one is recomended. The people before me had painted their bricks RED!!! NOT a pretty brick red either. And the walls were lime green. but not going into all of that. Just will say it took me 25 GALLONS to paint inside of small 1400 SQ FT house.Lots of windows and open floor plan so not a lot of walls.

Bookmark   April 6, 2011 at 5:25PM
marti8a

I'm not going to paint them a solid color, just put some more color on the solid tan ones so they look more like the rust & brown ones. I'll probably use a masonry stain.

Bookmark   April 6, 2011 at 5:48PM
desertsteph

I'm going to spray paint my switch/socket covers eventually. at least those that can be seen by the eye (not behind a piece of furniture). I bought 1 or 2, then thought 'what am I thinking? replacing all of these will cost a mini fortune!'
I returned the few I bought and will paint them maybe in the fall.

could you put a section of that rounded floor moulding along where the mantel meets the brick hiding the cord behind it?

Bookmark   April 7, 2011 at 12:55AM
marti8a

That's a good idea steph, I hadn't thought of hiding it behind something flat.

Bookmark   April 7, 2011 at 10:21AM
nancyinmich

Hi Marti!

Have I showed you this link before? I love the before and after pictures. This company acts like it expects you to be creative with mixing their colors to make the shades you need. Even though it is in the UK, I think they give a good deal with free shipping costs.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dye Brick

Bookmark   April 7, 2011 at 9:50PM
Moccasin

Marti, what did you decide about the lamp? Keep it or return it?

It occurred to me that with the UP glass bulb cover, you can do what I did with a pair of lamps having such UP globes on them. A nice soft cream colored shade not big around would work fine, and still throw the light UP to your high ceiling. No glare at all from lamps which have those UP globes.

Bookmark   April 10, 2011 at 7:25PM
marti8a

Yes, I've seen that one Nancy. I think I even bookmarked it.

ML, I haven't done a thing. It's still on the mantel. Dh noticed my inspection sticker was expired last Wednesday and I needed other things done to the car too, just I just stayed home or drove the unairconditioned truck short distances. I got my car inspected today so I'm safe to drive again. I'm pretty sure I'm going to take it back.

Bookmark   April 11, 2011 at 5:51PM
rhoda_dendron

The easiest way to cover up the switch plate is to lean your art rather than hang it. It will give you just enough room for the plugs, but you won't see them.

Bookmark   April 14, 2011 at 10:19AM
marti8a

That's what I usually do with the little picture. It looks funny right in the middle though.

I took the lamp back to the store. It just wasn't right.

Bookmark   April 14, 2011 at 11:21AM
More Discussions
How many square feet is your "small home"
My house is 859sf. It has 3 bedrooms and 1 bath, but...
tlbean2004
Remodel almost home.
I've had fun the last few days, because I started "shopping...
Moccasin
Help for me coming soon...
My family and friends have been praying for that all...
desertsteph
Mise en place
I give you a link to an NPR article about the above...
Moccasin
Anyone tried a far infrared sauna in a small home?
Santa broke out in guffaws when he read my email for...
nancyinmich
Sponsored Products
Sunset Drive Linear Suspension by Feiss
$510.00 | Lumens
Flos | Glo-Ball T Table Lamp
$745.00 | YLighting
Oil Rubbed Bronze Swing Arm Plug-In Lighted Vanity Mirror
Lamps Plus
Hinkley Lanza Nickel 34" Wide Bathroom Wall Light
Lamps Plus
Larkspur Beach Amber Two-Light 14-Inch Pendant with Antique Bronze Canopy
$883.40 | Bellacor