Large size conversion help

mkrisNovember 16, 2005

I need help figuring out a size conversion. I am making a Christmas present for someone that wears an XXXL. Patterns run 18W 20W 22W, etc. I want to make a nursing scrub jacket. Does anyone know what a 3X is in patterns? It is McCall's 9644 pattern. I can't ask the person since it is a gift. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
glassquilt

I made a shirt for a large relative. Mine was also a gift. I make a copy and changed it to a yoke style and added a generous pleat in the back. I felt the pleat gave enough ease and still looked neat.

http://www.sassyscrubs.com/store.asp?pid=5163&catid=19621
http://www.mccallpattern.com/charts/bwomen.htm

Bookmark   November 17, 2005 at 1:14PM
eunice

I wear size 22W which is usually 2X. According to a catalog size chart I have, size 3X is 24 to 26W. You may want to go with the 26 as scrubs are usually of woven fabrics and nurses need room to move!
Eunice

Bookmark   November 17, 2005 at 8:31PM
izzysmom

A 3X is a 26/28 size
Izzysmom

Bookmark   November 17, 2005 at 8:50PM
mkris

Thank you so much for everyone's response. I was absolutely stumped! I knew I could count on some sewing buddies to know!

Bookmark   November 17, 2005 at 9:37PM
loganhogan

One of the problems I run into being plus sized is what I wear in RTW is smaller than what I wear in patterns. I.E. I can wear a 20-24 in RTW but have to have up to a 28 in a pattern because of my hips. If she wears a 3 x in RTW, take your measuring tape and measure a jacket that size and then look at those measurements on the pattern jacket and see if that helps you determine the pattern size.
Susan in Bama

Bookmark   November 18, 2005 at 11:24PM
glassquilt

If possible try to measure one of her jackets when she's not around. You know how much difference there is between manufactures. I wear a smaller size at high price stores than at low price. I've noticed the 'vanity' sizes in RTW. There is no way that my hips have gotten smaller over the years but I'm still wearing the same size jeans. I've got a retractable tape I carry with me.

Bookmark   November 19, 2005 at 7:36AM
More Discussions
Don't want to mess this up Please Help!
I'm wanting to make a doll for my granddaughter using...
skyanne_9
White serger
I have a White Superlock 2000 serger. I have been sewing...
kathielo
a place to order
My family room has windows all around . It is nice...
barb_roselover_in
Sewing Plus Size Clothing
Does anybody here sew plus size clothing for re-sale?...
catsoup
Cost estimate to shorten two curtains
Anyone have an idea how much it would cost to have...
vithdude
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™