foot pedal not moving needle

somaeNovember 8, 2013

We have a Brother Limited Edition Project Runway Sewing Machine Refurbished LS2250PRW. I was trying to sew on a button and was turning the hand wheel to do it. I felt a slight resistance and then heard a sound. Afterwards, the foot pedal no longer made the needle move although I could hear the motor spinning. The hand wheel still makes the needle move.

I tried to take the machine apart but didn't succeed. Anyone know of a service manual or a way to fix it?

Help appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lazy_gardens

Here's theuir help website:
http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/bsc/public/us/us/en/faq/faq_top.htm?reg=us&c=us&lang=en&prod=hf_ls2250eus

And there is a link to the manuals.

It sounds like you broke the gear that feeds power from the motor drive to the needle's gears. It's currently selling for $54 on overstock.com ... it might not be worth the time it would take to fix.

=================

HINT: Do not sew buttons on by machine, even though they say you can do it.

Bookmark   November 9, 2013 at 9:27AM
somae

Thanks.

I didn't see a service/repair manual on the brothers site (only a user's manual and a quick reference guide.)

Bookmark   November 9, 2013 at 3:19PM
clt3

Make sure you have not engaged the bobbin winder accidentally. If that's not the issue, I agree with lazygardens, not worth fixing.

Bookmark   November 10, 2013 at 9:31AM
somae

I still would like to open it up and look. Anyone know where I can get a service manual?

I tried disassembling and took out all the screws I could find for the case but it still wouldn't open.

The gear broke with practically no pressure - the needle wasn't hitting against the button when the gear broke and when I was lining up the button, I made sure that I didn't put any pressure on the hand wheel when it did hit the button.

It seems like it's a bad idea to use the hand wheel for anything?

Bookmark   November 12, 2013 at 4:06PM
dancingirl_gw

There may be a clip that you depress with the screwdriver tip to release the case. Check out FixYa.com for others who have had this problem or asking about service manual. Check this site http://www.dontai.com/manual.pdf to see if they have a free service manual. Other sites might have for a fee--do a search for the model/service manual. LUCK!

Bookmark   November 12, 2013 at 8:05PM
amaryllis52

Hi somae,

It might be possible you didn't break it, merely disengaged the needle. Some sewing machines have a function where turning the handwheel a certain way disconnects the drive to the needle. It is used when you rewind a bobbin, for example. On the machine I have, turning the wheel tighter makes the needle reengage. Hope that is helpful.

Bookmark   November 17, 2013 at 4:49PM
More Discussions
The little Singer 15- made her way home today!
I went back to the Thrift Store and asked the clerk...
caroline94535
altering pants
When I take in the legs of pants, I take in both seams...
laurenjay
Need drapery fabric problem advice
I had polyester draperies made and the workroom pressed...
sierrashopper
Need help identifying a fabric brand please.
This is a pretty upholstery fabric.
Adria Jackson
Can I add another layer to drapes?
Howdy folks! I came across a GREAT deal at a resale...
carsonheim
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™