How to make a quick/easy colorful fabric robe

phish_gwNovember 9, 2012

I have a school project to have the kids make a colorful robe like the one in "Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat". We have like 1/2 hour to put it together, and none of us have the time or ability to sew. Any advice on how we can do this? I'm happy to buy something at a craft store if I knew what to buy! Obviously the final result doesn't have to look good, the real focus of the project is working together, but I still ideally would like to come up with some kind of colorful robe at the end.

I was thinking maybe something with velcro? Or fabric glue?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Annie Deighnaugh

How tall are the kids, shoulder to floor? Say they are 3 feet...then buy 2 yds of polar fleece per child, then fold the piece in half so you have a doubled rectangle that is 1 yd long. Cut a neck hole ... A semi circle...in the center of the fold through both layers of fabric. Then cut a slit through just the top layer from the neck hole to the edge. You now have a robe with open sides. If necessary, you can cut the sides in to fit the length go the child's arms better...or it may be fine.

Buy some cording to use as a belt to wrap around the waist to hold the robe shut.

The beauty of polar fleece is it will not ravel.

If you want to get more complicated, you can buy some fabric glue to glue the side seams shut, but not all the way up so there is room for the arms to go through.

Bookmark   November 9, 2012 at 7:35PM
More Discussions
Singer Inspiration 4210 Feed Dogs do not move
I have a new Singer Inspiration 4210 that I bought...
MaterialGirl47
Don't want to mess this up Please Help!
I'm wanting to make a doll for my granddaughter using...
skyanne_9
Can I add another layer to drapes?
Howdy folks! I came across a GREAT deal at a resale...
carsonheim
Can you tell me if this will work?
Since I have been socked in for four days now, have...
barb_roselover_in
Sewing Plus Size Clothing
Does anybody here sew plus size clothing for re-sale?...
catsoup
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™