Now I did it! Wedding veil....

Annie DeighnaughNovember 5, 2012

I volunteered to make the veil for a young friend who is getting married next year. Has anyone done a veil before? Any particular tips or tricks?

We haven't talked about the style yet, but she did mention one that had swarovski crystals sprinkled throughout the veil. I'm sure it was lovely. If we go that route, I'm only worried about tying knots that hold in clear nylon thread.

My other major concern is if she wants a finished edge. I could do lace or I may be able to do a rat tail...but I don't have a serger so merrow edge is out. I've not really sewn on illusion though other than by hand, so any suggestions and insights and tips would be most appreciated.

Hopefully, she'll want just a raw edge...her bodice is very fancy so we don't want to compete with that.....

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
clt3

I've made 2, they're easy. I followed the directions in a book called "Veiled in Beauty". I think if she wants crystals I would use the heat set ones. My DIL wanted a satin ribbon edge. I could not use my machine without the tulle puckering. I ended up gluing the ribbon with fabric glue. I laid out a sheet of the non-stick aluminum foil and did a few feet at a time, let that dry, and then moved it over to do another few feet. It didn't really take that long and held up well.

Bookmark   November 6, 2012 at 6:42AM
Annie Deighnaugh

Excellent! Thanks so much for the tips. Glad to hear it went well and you were successful. I'll be sure to look up that book.

Bookmark   November 6, 2012 at 6:54AM
Annie Deighnaugh

I got the book and it looks great...full of ideas that can be used for things other than veils too. Thanks for the lead...really builds my confidence!

Bookmark   November 6, 2012 at 11:33PM
More Discussions
fabric for a pant suit
I have been wanting to make a periwinkle pant suit...
jewels247
sewing machine about to die?
I have to admit I have had quite a few problems all...
jjjjade H
The little Singer 15- made her way home today!
I went back to the Thrift Store and asked the clerk...
caroline94535
Pleating help
Hello all. It's been a while since I asked a question...
cloybaby
Sewing Plus Size Clothing
Does anybody here sew plus size clothing for re-sale?...
catsoup
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™