Sewing Machine Recommendation?

janegaelNovember 13, 2009

I'm not really much of a sewer but have a need to make the odd piece now and then and was thinking of sewing my own couch cover rather than buy one as I only need a throw. My Jenome/Home machine has surprised me by turning into a piece of junk in a very short time with not much use, so I'm hoping that someone here might know of a better brand.

I need to be able to sew denim, fleece, and cotton/polyester T-shirt/sweatshirt type material. I don't need anything fancy, just basic quality so I won't have to fight with the machine to get it to sew a straight stitch.

Thanks,

Jane

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pattiohio

It is suggested that when looking make a list of your needs, which you have just about done.

You may have a dealer close where you can try out a few different brands and features will help you make a decision, take some scraps of fabrics you have listed above and test the stitches.

If you sew a lot of jeans or heavy fabrics you may want to check out a commercial/industrial type of machine.

Bookmark   November 14, 2009 at 11:13AM
happytomato2008

It isn't always the brand of sewing machine. Its just that the cheaper, newer ones are not meant to last very long. Find a reputable dealer, one that will give you a warranty on a older, used, simple straight stitch, zig zag sewing machine. Those 15, 20 year old machines that are metal, a bit heavy to pick up, will outlast most of the 300 dollar ones today. I have seen some Older Pfaffs 360's, Older White, Viking (6010's),Necchi and Singers still sewing after 30 years.
They can handle the size 18 needle and stitch denium. Alot of the better,older ones will have a front loading bobbin. The " drop-in bobbin"" ones are "medium" duty and have abit of trouble with the heavier fabrics. All of these have metal hooks and used metal bobbins. Plastic bobbins "chip" and cause stitching problems.
Hope you find something!!

Bookmark   November 20, 2009 at 5:45AM
yardnut_z8

I have a brothers (plastic)from WMs it fell apart I needed a bobbin case--price was $35.00 + shipping--I found a
1965 Kenmore at a yard sale for $5.00 it is a work horse.
you just can't beat those old machines.

Bookmark   December 8, 2009 at 7:43PM
More Discussions
pls help, Brother needle bar question
Hi There, I bet this will be an easy fix for one of...
amandalynn
sewing curtain that has print on one side
I wanted to make curtain that have the print side on...
tropical_thought
Need drapery fabric problem advice
I had polyester draperies made and the workroom pressed...
sierrashopper
Sewing Plus Size Clothing
Does anybody here sew plus size clothing for re-sale?...
catsoup
Dog house pattern
Does anyone have or know where I can find a pattern/instruction...
josephene_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™