sewing machine for granddaughter

lsvandyckNovember 23, 2007

My almost-10-year-old granddaughter has asked for a sewing machine and lessons (provided by me) for Christmas. It's been so long since i've bought a machine that i don't know where to begin. First - under $100.00 as that's what i spend on each grandchild. I have a 1973 Bernina that still works great, but that brand is out of my price range. Any suggestions would be a big help. Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
budster

Check into what was said under the posting "Sewing machine for 13 year old." That has lots of good advice. Budster who wishes you luck on your search.

Bookmark   November 23, 2007 at 5:46PM
cmc_97

Check your local sewing machine dealers for used machines. The Used Machine stock at my dealer is variable (depends on what's been traded in that he considers good enough to resell), but I've often found sturdy brand-name macnines in the $100 price range. They tend to be older machines in good working order, but perfectly servicable.

Your dealer may offer free "how to use a sewing machine lessons", even with a used machine. One dealer I worked with would teach children as young as your granddaughter as long as the child was accompanied by an adult. Ask your dealer what his or her policy is.

CMC

Bookmark   November 24, 2007 at 4:20PM
lsvandyck

Thank you to both of you - good suggestions!! I'll post what I end up getting.

Bookmark   November 30, 2007 at 3:40PM
More Discussions
The little Singer 15- made her way home today!
I went back to the Thrift Store and asked the clerk...
caroline94535
Anyone use Singer Touch 'n' Sew?
My Singer is one of the old Touch 'n' Sew's from about...
socks
Don't want to mess this up Please Help!
I'm wanting to make a doll for my granddaughter using...
skyanne_9
altering pants
When I take in the legs of pants, I take in both seams...
laurenjay
Need drapery fabric problem advice
I had polyester draperies made and the workroom pressed...
sierrashopper
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™