Christmas gifts

teresa_nc7November 22, 2008

I'll post this here since the embroidery forum seems to be about machine embroidery.

This year I am making hand embroidered kitchen towels, sometimes called "tea towels." Some are linen and some are cotton; a couple were bought finished and the others were bought as toweling yardage. I find the outline stitch embroidery to be very relaxing and something I can do in the evenings while watching tv or a DVD movie.

first two towels

one of a set of two

second of the set of two

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
teresa_nc7

I meant to add that I used Sulky 12 wt. thread (on a spool), a size 8 embroidery needle, and a small wood hoop to do this embroidery. The Sulky thread gives a finer line and doesn't tangle up as badly as the regular DMC floss. I like the look of the 12 wt. thread very much.

Bookmark   November 22, 2008 at 3:59PM
msmarion

What beautiful hand work you do. Can I be on your Christmas list? LOL The butterflies are my favorites!
Hope everyone that receives them appreciates and enjoys them.

Bookmark   November 22, 2008 at 11:54PM
Jitai

How lovely! Are they your own designs?

Bookmark   November 23, 2008 at 9:54PM
debs3

Thank you for sharing your embroidered towels, they are lovely. It is so much more fun to use special towels.

Bookmark   November 23, 2008 at 10:11PM
budster

Very nice stitching. You made me smile as I just picked up a whole roll of cloth with the idea of doing some "Ukrainian style" embroidery on it. It is very pricey to purchase when you can find it and the labor to do it is quite intensive as you have to deal with counting out stitches (basically a counted cross stitch) to make very wide bands of pattern. I've done a small cloth a few years back and enjoyed it so when I found an unopened tube of cloth at the local thrift, I decided to do more. Sometimes it is nice to switch to something different but still in the stiching line. Thanks for adding this subject.

Bookmark   November 25, 2008 at 10:49AM
teresa_nc7

The dolphin and seahorse designs I purchased at a quilt show. The vendor had examples done using the 12 wt. thread and I liked the look of it very much, so I bought a bag kit that had those designs. My sister has a beach house so those will be for her.

There are many sites on the internet that offer free embroidery patterns. Here is a link:

Here is a link that might be useful: Pattern Bee free stuff

Bookmark   November 25, 2008 at 1:52PM
More Discussions
Seamstress Needed
Hi, Is there any experience seamstresses in Illinois...
loppsylou50
Pleating help
Hello all. It's been a while since I asked a question...
cloybaby
foot pedal not moving needle
We have a Brother Limited Edition Project Runway Sewing...
somae
Should I buy this old Singer?
... Can you tell me how I find when it was made? It's...
caroline94535
Singer toy sewing machine question
Hi, I have a Singer Sewhandy toy electric sewing machine...
philanna273
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™