Aloe Vera bloom

silvamaeApril 25, 2008

>

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
texaswild

Oh, that's a beautiful bloom. Didn't even know they bloomed. Your house - log cabin in the woods? Looks ranchy and comfortable

Bookmark   April 26, 2008 at 8:55AM
pjtexgirl

Mine hates me and won't bloom (pout).
Seriously that's really pretty. I like the woodsy look too. PJ

Bookmark   April 26, 2008 at 1:33PM
silvamae

Haha, yes, with me, everything has a story. My sister came to visit about 5 years ago; she drove a pickup; it sat out front for about five days and when she went to leave, she said, Oh, here's an old aloe vera that a friend gave me; it's about dead, do you want it? It was laying in the bed of the pickup all that time and it was about 100 degrees every day. The aloe was pitiful looking, all dried up; I took it and planted it in the back yard and it went crazy, had about 25 babies and bloomed every year. And the soil in our backyard is terrible; it's about 1/16th inch of top soil on top of solid rock. It's a mystery.

Yes, our house is country ranch style; it is two story, tin roofed, gables in front, all cedar siding and limestone, almost solid windows across the back, and overlooking the hill country. It is very nice and peaceful out here.

Bookmark   April 26, 2008 at 11:26PM
texaswild

Oh, you make me homesick for the Austin area - hill country. Used to live in Round Rock, and enjoyed trips all around the area - beautiful scenery - rocks and water and oh, the Bluebonnets in spring!!! What a story about the plant. Sure was a toughie.

Bookmark   April 27, 2008 at 8:29AM
mermaidmosaics

Me too, I miss Austin, I went to grad school there and then we lived in Georgetown for 8 years. I miss those bluebonnets , indian paintbrushes all those great Texas flowers Lady BIrd planted...

About those picky aloe vera, mine has produced the flower stalk, started to think about flowers, and then all of those "seeds" whatever they are called just dropped one one. the aloe is going crazy,. it just doesn't want to BLOOM

I THINK it might have got too much rain water.. they do seem to do better in high heat and no water.. desert plants...

Bookmark   April 27, 2008 at 10:15AM
silvamae

Here's a photo of volunteer bluebonnets; my youngest granddaughter planted the seeds last year.

>

Bookmark   April 27, 2008 at 11:31AM
mermaidmosaics

Silvamae, I wonder if I could grow a pot of bluebonnets here?? I'll have to check into it. That would be a fun reminder. Your granddaughter did well.

Thanks for the pix

Bookmark   April 27, 2008 at 11:53AM
nanatricia

Hey! girlas I am from LLano T and one of my kids live in Goergetown the other in Round Rock. There were not many BB but a lot of other wild flowers .I love this time of year.

Bookmark   April 27, 2008 at 10:02PM
silvamae

Hey, all, I lived in Georgetown for 20 years - - then moved out here southwest of Austin in the hill country. I miss the gorgeous red poppies that bloomed in the ditches all around Georgetown. I tried and tried to get a start of them in my flower beds but never could. I did have a wonderful flowerbed of old fashioned white iris that bloomed very early every year and I miss them so much. I can't believe I didn't dig up a few of them to bring with me. I just ordered some on eBay; they arrived Thursday and I planted them. Hope they take. If I had some poppies I would be happy.

Bookmark   April 27, 2008 at 11:40PM
pjtexgirl

I seed blue bonnets every year. They are just so gorgeous!!! Tx sure is pretty. I spent time in Austin and Fredricksburg(sp?). I had a wonderful time! PJ

Bookmark   April 28, 2008 at 5:16PM
More Discussions
Outdoor Tabletop
Okay, I know Silvamae talked about this but I can't...
loribee2
bicem
Hi, bicem, you posted a mosaic question on the "conversation"...
silvamae
Need grout colour suggestion.
I have been working on this project through the holidays...
tiffy_z5_6_can
My last commission of 2014
A dear friend's sister commissioned me to make this...
silvamae
Bonding mosaic tile to metal
Hoping for some advice here--planning a mosaic sign...
sheloolie
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™