Using Minky for Cuddle Blanket

gininmnNovember 5, 2011

I've never worked with Minky before but bought some when I saw a good sale. I'm wondering how well it would work for making a cuddle blanket with sleeves. I bought one from Bro okstone for a friend as part of a comfort basket after she lost her husband to cancer and ended up with one for myself because they had a 2-for-1 sale. I absolutely love it for reading in bed when I can't sleep at night. I found a pattern on-line for one and would like to make one for my sister. Purchased one is made of doublesided furry, fleecy fabric (=extremely soft and cuddly). Minky is only one-sided cuddly so to make the cuddle blanket I would need line it with minky. Do you think it would be too warm? I suppose I'd need to tack it together in the body so it doesn't flop apart (or in some way attach lining to front -- or make it reversible--a better idea). I suppose some level of quilting or just tacking the two pieces together would be the way to go. Any opinions/suggests for this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gininmn

Posting here to move this down from near top of the forum. I had also posted my message on the Quilting Forum and did get some responses there. I've decided to make it two-layers, reversible and hoping top-stitching around all edges and the shoulder seams will be adequate for holding it together.

Bookmark   November 10, 2011 at 9:30AM
More Discussions
Advanced beginner , emphasis on beginner
What r ur fave online fabric stores? I am looking...
bossyvossy
sewing machine tension set to 5
I had my sewing machine serviced recently because the...
talley_sue_nyc
foot pedal not moving needle
We have a Brother Limited Edition Project Runway Sewing...
somae
questions about sewing lipped cord onto draperies
I am sewing drapery panels that will have a 2 foot...
lsst
sewing machine about to die?
I have to admit I have had quite a few problems all...
jjjjade H
Sponsored Products
Tabby Mini Pendant by Feiss
$129.00 | Lumens
Bunny & Carrot Paper Towel Holder by Alessi
$66.00 | Lumens
Elk Lighting Rope Wrapped Buffet Lamp - D152
$78.00 | Hayneedle
Textured Lines Rug 12' x 15' - GRAY
$5,899.00 | Horchow
linkup-rgb Wifi RGB LinkUp LED Controller
EnvironmentalLights.com