HGTV Green Home

terryinmdMarch 10, 2008

I posted this on the conversations side, but no replies, so will try again here.

I can see a few things I would change, but overall I like the plan. One thing they aren't telling us yet is what the square footage is, or how big any of the rooms are.

I would turn the porch off the bedroom and living room into a greenhouse, and I would build a basement for the mechanicals in order to make the bedrooms and sitting area on the second floor bigger.

Do you like it, what would you change?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jenellecal

Definately more bedrooms. It looks like it only has 3 total. It's cute though.

Bookmark   March 10, 2008 at 3:13PM
slc2053

I loved the pantry off of the kitchen and how it leads you to other areas...I like the plan...

Bookmark   March 10, 2008 at 8:45PM
terryinmd

One thing I like about it is that you can see from the front door all the way through to the screened porch. Kind of a modified Shotgun?
I like all the natural light, but I want a place for a TV in the living room. You wouldn't get a view of the lake in the evening anyhow.

I think the garage/laundryroom could be tweaked to allow direct entry from the garage.

DH and I are almost empty nesters, and I like having the master on the ground floor so that at some point we could stop climbing stairs.

Our lot slopes down from the street side to the water side, so we could easily have a walkout basement.

One thing I noticed is that the floor plan has builtins for the bedroom and dining room, but the pictures show freestanding furniture instead.

Bookmark   March 11, 2008 at 8:43AM
decorpas

I think this one was built sans basement due to the area. No one here has basements; too many problems with moisture, I guess. Though with the recent tornado, I was missing my midwestern basement, I can tell you! I actually drove out to see it a few days ago, but it wasn't ready.

It's very pretty and I'm glad HGTV decided to build a green one this time. The neighborhood it's in is going to be very nice, walkable, etc.

the style of home where you see all the way through is used a lot in the South-- it's the old way of providing airflow, actually. It's not feng shui, but it does work, and goodness knows we need all of the airflow we can get here in the summer!

I'll post again after I've walked through it. I'm going to a party for its unveiling soon...

Bookmark   March 11, 2008 at 5:10PM
ole_dawg

What is a HGTV Green Home?

Bookmark   March 21, 2008 at 5:06PM
abbycat9990

We saw it yesterday. It was a very cute, small house. The people on hand to direct visitors through the house were charming, but knew very little about the house, it's construction, the vegetation or even the concept of green.

I think it's a nice attempt, but this development is the antithesis of "green", given the large scale clearing and filling and dirt moving...

But, yes, it's a nice little "not so big" house.

Bookmark   April 14, 2008 at 9:47PM
More Discussions
Moved in my smaller home today!!!!
Hello!! I just introduced myself this week; I'm the...
pinkpanther5
How many square feet is your "small home"
My house is 859sf. It has 3 bedrooms and 1 bath, but...
tlbean2004
lavender_lass
So where are you? New house? Still looking?
Imhappy&Iknowit IOWA zone 6b
upper shelves in kitchen
Ok I am having someone make me some upper shelves in...
agmss15
Pretty plates...XP Kitchen forum :)
I wanted to show you all my pretty plates I found online....
lavender_lass
Sponsored Products
EAGO TB352 White One Piece Ultra Low Single Flush Eco-Friendly White Toilet
$519.00 | Blue Bath
Softest Rug 9' x 12' - BLUE
$3,899.00 | Horchow
Abruzzo Rug
$57.99 | Dot & Bo
10' Green Octagon Deluxe Market Poly-Spun Polyester Umbrella w/Teak Pole, Manual
Fifthroom.com
Secret Garden Wexler Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Braided Area Rug: Colonial Mills Rugs Shear Natural
Home Depot
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™