Step-Mother Wedding Etiquette

southernsummerJanuary 26, 2014

I survived my SS's wedding two years ago with the usual stubs and such.

This spring is my SD's wedding, which my husband and I provided a large check to fund. I am bracing myself for similar or worse.

Does anyone have any advice?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
colleenoz

Be gracious.

Bookmark   January 26, 2014 at 1:59PM
sylviatexas1

Erma Bombeck was talking about being the mother of the groom when she gave this advice, but I think it's good default advice for any social event in which someone else is the star:

"Wear beige & keep your mouth shut."

One thing I definitely would *not* do is to clalim that I had anything to do with that check;
my position would be that her father gifted her with that check.

Have fun!

Bookmark   January 27, 2014 at 6:50PM
dotz_gw

Hi Southern, What happened at wedding number 1? Do the SKs get along with you? Ex problems? I ve heard the beige, shut up thing before, I always wonder, what have we (SMs) done to be brushed aside and be less of a guest than anyone else? Maybe we should wear an unflattering dress that adds 15 pounds and ten years and spend most of our time hiding in the restroom...Not that I would ever show up playing the part of Sofia Vergara in a red dress,but what have we done wrong to be relegated to a non person status at a SK wedding...

Bookmark   January 29, 2014 at 11:07AM
southernsummer

Hahaha! Well, thanks for the advice back in January.
I did wear beige, and I WAS invisible.

Bookmark   June 12, 2014 at 12:45PM
dotz_gw

You know, I had the feeling I was the talk of the town!!!! I m sure all the guests had heard horrible things from SK and Ex...Everyone wanted a peek at the devil woman!!! Instead they got understated, couture dressed, head up silent SM....LOL......The only thing I took away feeling good about was my behavior....:) A man in the lobby( Bless him, whoever he was) said to me, I think your dress is my favorite dress here, to which I replied , I think you re my favorite guy here, all within earshot from Ex..I could feel the heat coming off her from 10 feet away LOL

Bookmark   June 12, 2014 at 1:18PM
southernsummer

Dotz, you are awesome.

Bookmark   June 13, 2014 at 8:43AM
mxyplx

UNNNNNNNNbeleveable!

I was thru 6 stepchildrens weddings for my wife's 3 childrens, one got married 2 times, nuther 3 times, with only one problem. My Wife's Ex-Husband's Wife got pissed at me because I wouldn't start drinking Margaritas at 3 in the afternoon. That was # 2 son's 3rd wedding - on the beach, tide came in and we all get soaking wet. Wife's sister fell down. Preacher never missed a beat.

# 1 son's first wedding, and my wife got along super with her ex MIL for the first time in 20 years. I danced with her - hard rock. SD's boyfriend's rock band. SD and new hubby spent about 2 days in a tent in our back yard while I fixt their car - had to wait for Monday to get a special part from the dealer. Her dad parked his motor home at our back door to load the presents into......no sweat.

# 2 son's 2nd wedding I held SD's 4 YO daughter in a death grip to keep peace in the church - she wanted to discuss the pictures on the wall.....grateful thanx from SD.

Wife's Ex insisted I taste some of his $100+/bottle wine. He ran the BBQ at several family gatherings. Well that scratches the surface........Good Memories all around.

I Dunno. Sometimes I wished I was a woman. Probly kill myself after 20 minutes but at least I'd know what it was like.

Bookmark   June 19, 2014 at 11:53PM
sylviatexas1

I'm so sorry.

I didn't realize when you posted this how toxic the situation was.

Bookmark   June 20, 2014 at 12:30AM
dotz_gw

MX, Your Exs Ex wife was mad you didn't drink a Margarita at 3 PM??? Margarita drinking at 8 AM should be standard procedure at ALL step weddings...:)

Bookmark   June 20, 2014 at 10:18AM
southernsummer

In retrospect, I was the only one concerned about etiquette.
The gloves are off. My step daughter and her mother have set a standard, and its no more Mr. Nice Guy.

Bookmark   July 20, 2014 at 5:21PM
dotz_gw

Good for you Summer. Stand your ground..

Bookmark   July 21, 2014 at 2:08PM
More Discussions
Half sister/cousin question
This is a little weird...but without a ton of details....
adayinmylife75
To visit or not to visit
About three years ago, after many instances of being...
wrychoice1
Venting and disengaging
Since the horrible experience of my step daughter's...
southernsummer
Can't Accept My Stepson
I don't know what it is but I just can't stand having...
TheNewMomma
New- Really need help..
Hi I am new here but hoping as people in the same...
runrun2
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™