Kitchen design from the 1950's or so

desertstephMarch 10, 2010

this was posted over on the k itchen forum. posting the link here in case any here don't go over there.

it's a great video of k itchen design from back then!

Here is a link that might be useful: video

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
flgargoyle

Interesting website- thanks! I never heard of steel kitchen cab'nets before- I wonder how wide-spread their usage was? I see they are making them again- pretty spendy, I bet!

Bookmark   March 13, 2010 at 7:02AM
emagineer

There is a site specifically for houses made of steel during the 1950s. And they restore all the metal to it's original design. They were modular and still stand as once was. Very modern, but at the time affordable and were small. I can't remember the architect or the site right now.

Here is a link that might be useful: mid century steel kitchens

Bookmark   March 16, 2010 at 7:23AM
emagineer

Here is a link with tons of photos and information about "Lustrom" homes which were built entirely of metal. A curiosity on my part, not sure if I could live in one.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lustrom

Bookmark   March 16, 2010 at 7:38AM
desertsteph

we lived in a house when i was little (a duplex/side by side) that was made of metal. we called it 'Tin Village'. i think they were old army barracks tho.

I remember metal cabs in several houses growing up.

did you notice how many drawers were in that k*tchen - way back then?

Bookmark   March 18, 2010 at 11:52PM
marti8a

I don't know how common they were but I had a friend when I was a kid who had them in her house. Our house was built in 1955 and her house was older. It was built in the "duck & cover" era and even had a fallout shelter in the basement. She also had the only basement I'd ever seen when I was a kid. I didn't care for the metal cabinets back then. They were noisy when we bumped against them and her mother always knew when we were in the k itchen. lol I did like that built in drainboard. That was also in a time before dishwashers were common and those drainboards were huge.

Bookmark   March 23, 2010 at 10:52AM
desertsteph

I remember in the 50's having a cellar... to go to in case the air raid siren went off other than it's scheduled test time. we were always on alert for that... mom kept some canned goods down there. otherwise, it wasn't a place you wanted to go...more like a stand up in size crawl space. ick.

Bookmark   March 25, 2010 at 3:11AM
More Discussions
Let's have tea!!! :)
I do not know if there's a Conversations side or not....but...
lavender_lass
Is anyone else having trouble getting on this new Houzz site???
If you're having trouble (which I did) use your email...
lavender_lass
Moved in my smaller home today!!!!
Hello!! I just introduced myself this week; I'm the...
pinkpanther5
Family of 5 into 1500 sq ft
Hello! I thought I'd introduce myself since I've been...
pinkpanther5
Artistry of home construction
When MamaGoose explained the concept of the Construction...
Moccasin
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™