White trim suggestioms!

nostalgicfarmJuly 22, 2014

Its time to pick trim color!
I painted my living/dining/kitchen a medium-dark grey. (Is is reading a bit blue, but the trim is a bit red now, and there isn't carpet/flooring/furniture in yet)
Bedrooms will be a grey-purple, SW Peppercorn, and a grey-blue.
Ceilings are SW Snowbound.
I want all baseboard/crown/doors the same white.
SW or BM colors
Also, should I stick with semi-gloss or go a Satin? Walls are Eggshell.

Carpet goes in next Tues, so gotta get a decision made and get everything painted soon!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tibbrix

BM White Dove goes with everything and is the painter's choice for trim around these parts.

Bookmark   July 22, 2014 at 4:26PM
justretired

I am not familiar with Snowbound but it sounds like white:) Shouldn't the crown match the ceiling color? And if the crown is Snowbound wouldn't it follow that the baseboard and window trim would be as well?

My trim is all satin but I must admit that when I see a glossy trim it appeals to me. And I have White Dove throughout. It is a very nice white.

Lots happening, have fun!

Bookmark   July 22, 2014 at 4:38PM
bonnieann925

Semi-gloss is a good choice for trim. Another BM White Dove fan here!

Bookmark   July 22, 2014 at 6:43PM
nostalgicfarm

Justretired- I don't think trim has to match ceiling. My mom tints her ceiling wilth some of the wall color. The ceilings were rough so I wanted a brighter white.
2 White Dove Fans...wow. is it a bright stark white?
Thanks everyone!

Bookmark   July 22, 2014 at 7:56PM
tibbrix

I like semi-gloss for trim.

White Dove is a very soft, mellow white, not stark at all.

This post was edited by Tibbrix on Tue, Jul 22, 14 at 20:23

Bookmark   July 22, 2014 at 8:22PM
chispa

BM Simply White in semi-gloss for doors, crown and trim.

I'm also slowly getting all the ceilings repainted to BM Simply White in flat.

Bookmark   July 22, 2014 at 8:25PM
Oaktown

Our trim is SW Snowbound. Walls are SW White Flour. Architect picked the colors, they all look "white" to me. Good luck!

Bookmark   July 22, 2014 at 8:30PM
mreenrn

As we enter the house into the living room you can see thru to the family room. Our color choices were BM Silken Blue CSP 670 for the north facing LR and Coventry Gray HC 169 for the south FR. The trim is Mayonnaise OC-85 in Impervo paint. I love the creamy white of the trim.

Mreen

Bookmark   July 22, 2014 at 8:35PM
nostalgicfarm

Tibbrix-Thank you for the followup. I am scared of a trim color being too white, but want wall colors to pop, so trying to find that perfect match. I will have to get a sample of the dove white, and maybe one more to see what I like.
Chispa-Thanks, I will look at simply white also. It may be too start for me...I had dark wood trim in my last home!
Oaktown- thanks! Our ceilings were really bad, so I choose snowbound to really brighten the space up. In the ceiling paint it is pretty bright white. :)
Mreen-I think I looked at mayonnaise and liked it. Glad to know it is an option against grey walls ;)

Bookmark   July 23, 2014 at 7:46AM
justretired

I did not mean to say that you could not use a white trim with a tinted ceiling. I thought Snowbound was white and was trying to picture 2 different whites next to each other where the ceiling meets the crown. I had this problem with my kitchen cabinets and ceiling being different whites and it has been a problem for me.

Snowbound looks to have a gray cast to it so I am sure White Dove or whatever you chose will look nice. Love your color selections.

JR

Bookmark   July 23, 2014 at 8:36AM
WendyB

If you are concerned about brightness I highly recommend the Benjamin Moore website to check out LRV for that color - light reflecting value.
It is a number 1 to 100 from white to black.

It has been invaluable to me since I discovered it. Puts everything in perspective.

Especially if your main colors are medium or rich. Too much contast is at risk.

Bookmark   July 23, 2014 at 8:44AM
roarah

I have charcoal walls in my living room with dove trim. It pops but does not look too stark. I can post a picture if you like, just let me know.

Bookmark   July 23, 2014 at 8:55AM
roarah

I have charcoal walls in my living room with dove trim. It pops but does not look too stark. I can post a picture if you like, just let me know.

Bookmark   July 23, 2014 at 8:57AM
tibbrix

yes, check the LRV on each color. That tells you how much light is reflected. the higher the number, the more light is reflected (i.e.: brighter).

White Dove = 84.59

Mayonnaise = 89.99

Simply White = 90.89

SW Snowbound = 83

So, BM Simply White would be the most stark; SW Snowbound the least.

Bookmark   July 23, 2014 at 8:57AM
theclose

We used BM Chantilly Lace trim throughout our house last year. Our dining room is Coventry Gray. Love the Chantilly. I wanted white, not too stark but not yellowy either. I was talked out of Simply White due to yellowness. I found this pic on google that compares White Dove, Simply White and Chantilly. I am also attaching a pic of my dining room so you can see Coventry with Chantilly. Good luck! I feel that there is an over focus on the "perfect white". Most people wouldn't be able to tell one white from the other once put on the trim!

Bookmark   July 23, 2014 at 8:58AM
deee_gw

I was so flummoxed by undertones and warm and cool and transitions and blah, blah, blah that I did all my trim with sherwin williams white base in semi gloss.

It looks good and helps me to KISS (keep it simple stupid) :)

Bookmark   July 23, 2014 at 9:05AM
tibbrix

White Dove, semi-gloss - all woodwork:

This post was edited by Tibbrix on Wed, Jul 23, 14 at 9:45

Bookmark   July 23, 2014 at 9:15AM
theclose

Oh, and as for satin, semi-gloss, etc., I did high gloss and love it. Alternatively, I would do semi-gloss.

Bookmark   July 23, 2014 at 10:05AM
nostalgicfarm

Thank you everyone!
I calledy BM store and they mixed me up a gallon of white dove in Satin....seems like the best place to start!
Hoping I like it, cause I'm about done painting! :)

Bookmark   July 23, 2014 at 1:08PM
chispa

No yellow in my Simply white. When you look at the 2 photos above you can't tell the difference! They just look like nice bright whites (but not stark).

Bookmark   July 23, 2014 at 1:11PM
More Discussions
Best glass shower doors
Can someone recommend a good quality brand of glass...
sis2two
Does your decor match your wardrobe?
In different places I see suggestions to start with...
laughablemoments
Help me find a new coffee table
Just before the Houzz migration, GWers helped me decide...
smalloldhouse_gw
Red / burgundy accent wall?
Hi all! Would love your opinions on this ! My husband...
eesmerelda
This is why you don't pick paint colours off the internet
This photo has been circulating the internet today....
amberm145
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™