reducing strain on eyes

shakushinnenNovember 26, 2006


Are there any aids available that will help to reduce eye strain from sewing. I was thinking some sort of magnifying goggles or ??? If there is, where would one find it?



Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I use Mag Eyes from Hobby Lobby. Worn similar to a visor, but has interchangable lens with 2 different strengths of magnification. Around 20 bucks, I think.

    Bookmark   November 26, 2006 at 10:57AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

When I had my last eye exam, I had the opthomologist give me a prescription for magnified lens that had my lower lens prescription. I had that made into a separate pair of glasses.

    Bookmark   November 28, 2006 at 4:57AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Thanks Pathfinder/Stitchintime,
Those are good ideas. I may have to go the opthomologist route, but I'd like to find something less expensive, if possible. We don't have Hobby Lobby here, in Ontario. I'll look around.
Pathfinder - Good idea with the ladder! I'll tell my wife.
...... John

    Bookmark   November 28, 2006 at 1:17PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I purchased a full spectrum light which simulates natural light. I could not sew particularly dark fabrics or hand quilt in the evenings. With my new light it is like daytime. I purchased a floor model online from Full Spectrum Solutions. They now have a catalogue. Mine cost $169,US. Some are called daylight lamps but not as good as mine.

    Bookmark   November 29, 2006 at 2:39AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Do you have a sporting goods store, fly fishing shop, or sewing store nearby? For fly tying, my husband uses a pair of MagEyes that he bought at a fly fishing shop, but I found them at the Nancy's Notions website. You can get different magnitudes of lens. BTW, the photo shows the MagEyes with the support bar for the lens across the bottom. I turn them upside down so the bar is across the top. The lens stay in just fine and I'm not trying to look through the bar all the time. Nancy's has another type of magnifyer, the Mighty Bright, that hangs around your neck and rests on your chest.

Here is a link that might be useful: MagEyes

    Bookmark   November 29, 2006 at 2:40PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

You can buy Mag Eyes from Amazon online. They are $20 at Amazon and $30 at Hobby Lobby. I think Hancock Fabrics may sell them also. I have bought several things from Amazon and they are very fast at shipping.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mag eyes at Amazon

    Bookmark   November 30, 2006 at 11:35AM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Should I buy this old Singer?
... Can you tell me how I find when it was made? It's...
Roll call please
Just wondering how many of us made the change to Houz. Would...
Need help with buttons on my first re-upholstery job
I am attempting to re-cover the cushions on my lawn...
Lea Grabb
Singer toy sewing machine question
Hi, I have a Singer Sewhandy toy electric sewing machine...
questions about sewing lipped cord onto draperies
I am sewing drapery panels that will have a 2 foot...
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™