Raggedy Ann/Andy

laVerneMaynard7November 17, 2012

I'm making Raggedy Ann & Andy for a friend for Christmas. Any helpful ideas out there? I usually just sew quilts and mend. Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Liddybuff

Over the years I have made many cloth-bodied dolls. What I see most often that takes away from a doll's look is how well it is stuffed. Please make sure you stuff them well and try to avoid lumps that show. I have found that using a chopstick works well in the areas that are hard to put your hand into. I made the 12" pair and they had some rather tiny areas to work with. They are well worth the time and effort to make and I know the person receiving them will be thrilled.

Bookmark   November 19, 2012 at 9:36PM
laVerneMaynard7

Thanks Liddy! I'll do my best with the stuffing. I started to use some quilt batting I had, but I bought regular stuffing; I'm too new at this to improvise.
I got Ann finished, haven't decided whether to tackle Andy...

Bookmark   November 22, 2012 at 9:35PM
kathi_mdgd

I also have sewn several raggedy ann/andy dolls over the years,as well as other cloth dolls/animals etc.One hint that i found that works real well is to put fusible interfacing on those parts like the face or anyplace where a nice smooth finish is required.It gives more body to the fabric,and the stuffing looks much better.I've also been sewing over 50 years.
HTH
Kathi

Bookmark   November 29, 2012 at 5:56PM
laVerneMaynard7

Thanks Kathi. The first one turned out okay, not great. I'm working on the second one now. Since I learned a lot about hair by going online and improvising some, I may make a few more. I know I'm not going to use that cardboard way for hair that my pattern shows. I'd be hauled off to a psych unit! I did make some cute hair with yarn tho. There are so many yarns to choose from! This is definitely learn as I go, but I have a cute doll at the end.

Bookmark   November 29, 2012 at 9:03PM
More Discussions
Can anyone help identify these fabrics? {PB Brooklyn in Lavender}
Hi there, I absolutely love the PB Brooklyn Crib bedding...
audreyrama
altering pants
When I take in the legs of pants, I take in both seams...
laurenjay
questions about sewing lipped cord onto draperies
I am sewing drapery panels that will have a 2 foot...
lsst
Singer toy sewing machine question
Hi, I have a Singer Sewhandy toy electric sewing machine...
philanna273
Need help with buttons on my first re-upholstery job
I am attempting to re-cover the cushions on my lawn...
Lea Grabb
Sponsored Products
White Wild Queen Anne's Lace - Set of Three
$12.99 | zulily
Stilt Wall Sconce by Stone Lighting
$252.00 | Lumens
Ann Harbour Pink 12-piece Bed in a Bag with Sheet Set
Overstock.com
Durrington Cheval 59" High Floor Mirror
Lamps Plus
Andy Pillow - Pink & Gray
| Dot & Bo