Altering Pant Legs - press side seams forward or backward?

subrosaNovember 14, 2011

I want to convert boot-flared pants to straight leg (not skinny leg). The original side seams are lock stitched together not pressed open. I would rather not rip open all the side seams, I just want deepen the seams from the knee to the hem. When I sew the hem back up should I press the side seams to the front or back? Some of my pants have the outside side seam pressed to the front and the inside seam pressed to the back and on others it is reversed. Is there a standard method for this? Or should they both be pressed in the same direction? The hem is the critical spot.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pris

The reason for the seam being pressed open is to reduce the bulk in the seam. Especially at the hem. What you do depends a lot on the weight of the fabric you're working with. If you're ok with the bulk issue, then it doesn't really matter which way you press the seam. You might want to follow the seam up to the crotch area and see if the seam is still open. If it goes one way or the other, then do the same thing.

Bookmark   November 14, 2011 at 2:24PM
subrosa

That makes sense, thanks. The fabric is fairly light weight so the bulk isn't really an issue.

Bookmark   November 14, 2011 at 7:10PM
onefineseamstres

if you are Making pants,,, you can press heavy seams open or lighter to the back.

IF altering... PRESS THEM THE SAME AS BEFORE. IF THEY ARE PRESSED TO THE BACK AT THE TOP... CONTINUE THE SAME WAY.

Bookmark   November 25, 2011 at 10:04PM
More Discussions
Singer Inspiration 4210 Feed Dogs do not move
I have a new Singer Inspiration 4210 that I bought...
MaterialGirl47
Singer toy sewing machine question
Hi, I have a Singer Sewhandy toy electric sewing machine...
philanna273
Don't want to mess this up Please Help!
I'm wanting to make a doll for my granddaughter using...
skyanne_9
Dog house pattern
Does anyone have or know where I can find a pattern/instruction...
josephene_gw
Cost estimate to shorten two curtains
Anyone have an idea how much it would cost to have...
vithdude
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™