sewing machine with basting stitch

swngdncrNovember 22, 2008

Hello all,

I sew sporadically, usually in spurts. However, due to arm and wrist problems, I am limited in how much hand sewing I can do these days. It's time for a new machine, and I want one that has a basting stitch. I'm probably looking at something around/under $500. I'll try and sew just about anything, and do some home decorating kinds of things, cushion covers, blinds. etc. So, I need something that can handle heavier fabrics. Embroidery and quilting isn't really a need... but if it had those functions, I'd probably find a way to use then one day. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
izzie

I sew stuff, usually not clothes. If you are not going to sew too much really heavy stuff you don't need a special machine, just the heavy duty needles. I made slip covers for sofa using med. weight denium.A few areas were 4 layers I had to sew. I have a low tech kenmore, no automatic button hole maker, that raises the price.

Bookmark   November 22, 2008 at 9:16AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
damascusannie

What do you mean by a "basting stitch"? I always just use the longest stitch length for basting. (Or my antique chainstitcher, which allows me to pull the thread end and zip the stitches out.)

Annie

Bookmark   November 22, 2008 at 10:14AM
More Discussions
Great show...fit2stitch
I just started watching fit 2 stitch with Peggy Sagers...
Annie Deighnaugh
a place to order
My family room has windows all around . It is nice...
barb_roselover_in
oval cape
I recently saw a BEAUTIFUL cape made of oatmeal sherpa...
mommalin
Can I add another layer to drapes?
Howdy folks! I came across a GREAT deal at a resale...
carsonheim
sewing machine about to die?
I have to admit I have had quite a few problems all...
jjjjade H
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™