Sewing trim on sheer panels?

sharon_flNovember 8, 2007

I am making canopy- like panels for my granddaughter's 'Cinderella' room. These will be draping from a center crown and swagging over to the bedposts. Will also be making the panels for her 1 window as well.

My question is: I want to add some sort of trim onto the edges of these panels..beading, tassle fringe-whatever. I am not a 'seasoned sewer' but can get along okay. My machine is new-BUt not with all of the 'bells & whistles'. How do I go about adding this trim? What should I be aware of? Do I need something like bias tape on the underside? Will the material gather all up on me when I sew on the trim? More tension or less tension & how many stitches per inch should I use?

I paid $11 a yd at Joann's for this gorgeous baby pink sheer polyester that has tiny iridescent sequins sewn in it somehow. Not tacky and are well adhered to the material.

Thanks for your inputs!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jaybird

Hi there,
I just finished sheer voile panels (big ones) for my guest room. I set my machine at a medium sized stitch, and a narrow zig-zag and put boullion fringe on the leading edges and the bottom. I used my regular zig-zag foot and went gently and carefully down the lip edge of the fringe. I then reset for a straight, looser stitch and went down the fringe edge. I kept the fabric taut under the fringe and everything seemed to go well with no bunching or gathering. I DID however cut the selvage off the fabric and made a 1" hem on the outer sides of each panel. The hem at the bottom was 3". HTH...email me if you need more info, or if you think I can make this clearer.
Use the normal format...I'm just trying to avoid spam:
jbmusik at yahoo dot com

Bookmark   November 8, 2007 at 12:16PM
sharon_fl

Well now..THAT makes sense! So kind of you to help me 'see the light' about this. How about thread-any special type I should use for this sheer material? Thanks.

Bookmark   November 8, 2007 at 12:45PM
jaybird

I always use the Gutermann thread for everything, so I can't comment on anything else. My OLD plain jane sewing machine won't work with Coats and Clark....don't know what it's problem is, but it is notional about other things too!!! I guess we are both just grumpy old ladies!!:^) You got some good ideas about glue too, but I have learned through experience that sometimes glues get me into sticky situations!!!;^) Especially with big amounts of fabric involved!!

Bookmark   November 8, 2007 at 1:02PM
More Discussions
Pleating help
Hello all. It's been a while since I asked a question...
cloybaby
oval cape
I recently saw a BEAUTIFUL cape made of oatmeal sherpa...
mommalin
Don't want to mess this up Please Help!
I'm wanting to make a doll for my granddaughter using...
skyanne_9
sewing curtain that has print on one side
I wanted to make curtain that have the print side on...
tropical_thought
Dog house pattern
Does anyone have or know where I can find a pattern/instruction...
josephene_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™