Woe is me...I'm on a low fat diet, due to high cholesterol, and have been hunting for a _good_ low fat Mac & Cheese recipe. The ones I've found so far online have been pretty nasty. Anyone have one that they've found to be good?
This is a weightwatchers recipe, I haven't tried it yet but 2 of my friends have and really like it.
macaroni and cheese
Prep Time : 18 min
Cook Time : 40 min
Level of Difficulty : Easy
Was : 9 POINTS
Now : 6 POINTS
main meals : Our rich, creamy macaroni and cheese explodes with flavor for two-thirds of the dish's usual POINTS.
12 oz uncooked macaroni, elbow-type
1/2 cup fat-free sour cream
12 oz fat-free evaporated milk
8 oz low-fat shredded cheddar cheese
1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
1/4 tsp table salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
2 Tbsp dried bread crumbs
2 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
1. Preheat oven to 350ÂºF.
2. Cook pasta according to package directions without added fat or salt; drain and transfer to a large bowl. While pasta is still hot, stir in sour cream; set aside.
3. Heat milk in a small saucepan over medium heat until tiny bubbles appear just around the edges (known as scalding). Reduce heat to low, add cheese and simmer until cheese melts, stirring constantly with a wire whisk, about 2 minutes; remove from heat and stir in mustard, salt, pepper and nutmeg.
4. Add cheese mixture to pasta; mix well. Transfer to a 4-quart casserole dish.
5. Combine bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese; sprinkle over pasta.
6. Bake until top is golden, about 30 minutes. Yields about 1 cup per serving.
We renovated Macaroni and Cheese by:
Â Using fat-free sour cream instead of regular.
Â Swapping evaporated fat-free milk for regular milk.
Â Opting for reduced-fat cheddar cheese instead of the full-fat variety.
POINTS Â Serves 8 Â Points per serving - 6