older brother model 260

garden_wenchOctober 1, 2006

My mother gave me an old brother sewing machine that she had purchased 2nd hand from a sewing store and used once. It has HA 4B2 260 as the model number, but there is no manual. I haven't sewn anything since high school, so it has been 20+ years, so any and all help is needed!

I looked online and found nothing. Does anyone know a place to get info about this machine or know if it is one of those solid "work-horse" models? It is turquoise and cream color, if that helps with what decade it might be. I could add a picture if that helps.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
stitchntime9

I checked this machine out and found one on e-bay--it's an oldie and you might have trouble having it repaired or finding bobbins and feet to fit it--that bargain may not have been a bargain in the long run and ask your mother why she only used it once. Went looking for a manual with no results.

The only suggestions I can make is to contact Brother to see if they have any manuals available, get a new Brother machine (Walmart and other discount stores has them at a decent price) or purchase a brand machine you are familiar with and comfortable using...none have to be top-of-the-line models.

Sewing is like riding a bike...you don't forget how, you are a bit wobbly at first, and then right back on track.

Bookmark   October 2, 2006 at 9:08AM
garden_wench

Thanks for your help. My mother is not a crafty person, and I am not, but I wanted to try a simple project like making or hemming curtains. My house has odd size windows. But since she had a machine I thought I would give it a try. She recently went into a nursing home and doesn't need the sewing machine.
I found a website for people that collect old machines and found a similar model 60, and it is supposed to be very well made. Maybe I'll have to get someone who is into sewing to give me some training.

Bookmark   October 2, 2006 at 5:34PM
colleenny

Here is a site that sells sewing machine manuals. You might try them. Colleen

Here is a link that might be useful: Machine manuals

Bookmark   October 2, 2006 at 7:40PM
puppylove2145

please contact me! i have had a brother streamline deluxe (seems to be like you described) i have been looking for info on this machine for 3 years now! i was wondering if yours has a white/cream know on the front? if so, i am sure you have the same machine! its amazing because i have not found an identical one yet! i even sent a pic into BROTHER and they couldnt identify it either!
thanks!

Bookmark   September 3, 2008 at 11:03PM
damascusannie

Does it look something like the one shown at the link below? If so, it's a 15 class machine made in the 50s or early 60s in Japan.

Annie

Here is a link that might be useful: Brother machine

Bookmark   September 4, 2008 at 10:33AM
More Discussions
Bernette Serger 334D - a Classic!
I love this serger, bought it used many years ago,...
gramfel
Singer Inspiration 4210 Feed Dogs do not move
I have a new Singer Inspiration 4210 that I bought...
MaterialGirl47
Newbie Needle Question
How do you know it is time for a new needle? And, the...
Merrygardener
Roll call please
Just wondering how many of us made the change to Houz. Would...
kathyg_in_mi
altering pants
When I take in the legs of pants, I take in both seams...
laurenjay
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™