packaging ideas please

maidinmontanaDecember 28, 2006

for those of you that sell your products at craft shows, farmers markets etc, what are some clever ideas you have come up with for packaging? I think the packaging sells as much as the products do and would like to think of some unique ways to package my lotion bars, soaps, and scrubs other than tins,bottles and jars or if I do resort to the above, how to make them appealing to the eye.

Thanks to all for info.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
terri_pacnw

labeling makes a big difference in a market that has alot of "makers". You could also look at PVC boxes and things like that. But I don't see anything wrong with tins, bottles and jars...
Labeling and accessories are the key.

Bookmark   December 30, 2006 at 4:41PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sriston

Gee, I haven't posted on here in a long time..

Anyway, I agree that labeling and packaging are the key elements in selling. However, the drawback to it is that the nicer the packaging and labeling, the more expense is in the product. In my particular area, a bar of soap will not sell for more than $2.50, and handmade lotion and other bath products simply don't sell at all. However, as I said, this is the particular market area.

The nicest packaging with the lowest price is often found (in my personal experience) through pre-buys and co-ops. Watch for these. Join several Yahoo groups, etc., that are devoted to such. Just keep in mind that it all adds to the final price of your product. Will a customer pay $7.00 for an attractively packaged bath and shower gel, or will they go to Bath and Body Works and pay $7.00 for one of theirs? Here, they will go to Bath and Body Works, so prices have to be really low to attract buyers.

I hope this helps, and gives you some food for thought. :)

Susan

Bookmark   December 30, 2006 at 8:30PM
More Discussions
Why does my soy candle turn color during burn?
I am wondering if I am doing something wrong in the...
HVC2014
FO's and EO's suppliers that you love?
Hi, I make glycerin soaps for gifts and sell a few....
reneea
soy candles
Has anyone used coconut oil in soy candles? I read...
busyhummingbird68
Perfume for fragrance?
Hi there, Would anyone please be able to tell me if...
Littlek18
candle luminaries
I'm attempting to make candle luminaries by pouring...
eventgal
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™